a question about phone calls ♡

hello everyone ♡. i have only just joined because i wanted to ask a question here, so i am very sorry if this is in the wrong place. Sweat

i am not sure of whether this is related to my autism, but does anyone else feel incredibly anxious when people call others on facetime or speaker phone around them? i am fine with people talking to others on the phone around me, but whenever it is out loud/on speaker, i get very anxious and feel the need to leave the room. i don't think it is because of the noise—i thought it might be because it feels like i am suddenly being brought into the conversation as well, a conversation i wasn't ready for, but i am not sure. if anyone else has any ideas or experiences this, i would love to hear from you ♡. thank you so much in advance.

• It feels like I'm being invaded and I feel angry, truth be told, before I catch myself and turn it into simply annoyed. I can get aggressive myself, if it persists more than 5 minutes and/or its at a cafe or checkout line – or worst on public transit! –  if I am not mindful. 

I have, in the past, before we had NC headphones, gotten up and stood very close to them, pretending to be part of the conversation instead. I suppose this is a form of aggression from feeling invaded. It's like I wanted to get inside the bunch-zone, as a boxer might say.

These are my impulses. now I have learned to conquer them if I cannot escape these speaker phone marathons. I leave or use my head phones instead. Or on public transit I just approach and say "please stop" and point to the signs that indicate not to do what they are doing.

These days it is rare for people to do this. Older people (my peer group) can be seen doing this, especially if they are hard of hearing. I understand this and cut them some slack, unless it's in a place that I can't really get away from them. Also, they have come up in a paradigm where a phone call happened primarily in a private home.

If its a younger person doing it who should who better the norms of the day (haha, like I do?) I am clueless as to what to do as are most of the people around me. They mostly seem to be able to filter it out.

I still think it's a form of aggression, conscious or not.

I am the same way with annoying blue tooth speakers on a beach!

• oh i relate to that so much Blush. i get so embarrassed about talking on the phone in front of ppl on the rare occasions when i have to...i just always feel like i sound or look strange compared to others, i suppose </3.

• If I’m talking to someone I don’t know very well or it’s an important call I have to take myself away into a room that’s quiet, shut the door as I don’t want anyone to hear me. I feel like it’s puts pressure on myself and then struggle to find the right words in conversation. I can get out of breath on the phone sometimes as I feel very tense like I’m holding something in?? 
    I don’t like to hear people on loud speaker or video calls either, can’t really say why but I would personally try and avoid this in public myself.

• I don't think it is weird, if anything people talking on the phone in public are the weird ones. Sweat smile

I also feel uneasy, especially on the buss or the train, when we all know I can't get away from it. 

Just like you, I also don't need the anxiety from converstations I don't want to be part of, plus the noise. So I have ended up always carrying a pair of earplugs and my earphones litteraly anywhere. 

• oh i see...and yes, it is ♡

• I tend to get more nervous when they don’t have it on speaker phone. 

But I wanted to ask, is your username based on mlp? 

• thank you very much ♡. i do not do well with phone calls either, but i thought it was strange that i am nervous even when others are on the phone around me ><.

• Hi, 

I also get apprehensive about phone calls sometimes. Usually I manage fine but I do occasionally feel nervous and stumble over my words. I think it is partly due to that and that I am more accustomed to texting or emailing. However, phone calls tend to make things easier and dealt with quicker. It might be worth asking someone if they can assist you in making phone calls.