Do you hate having ASD and wish you were neurotypical ?

Since realising that I am ‘on the spectrum, (having been assessed and diagnosed) which of course explains and gives reason for my behaviour and way of thinking, nonetheless, I’ve come to bitterly regret being this way - to the extent of feeling cursed. Does anybody else feel this way and would you - as I do - take a safe cure for it, if there was one? I’d hate to think I was alone in this regard.

• I feel like I am typical of myself. The older I get, the more myself I feel.

• No security guards as such in my day, Sonny Jim.

• You’re right that wouldn’t happen nowadays. If it was nowadays he wouldn’t have rolled you a cigarette he probably would have rolled you a joint instead. That seems to be the new thing nowadays lol. But sorry that happened to you, violence is never an acceptable way to behave in my opinion. 

• wow!

but

licorice cigarette.

wow!

• his was at the height of the Thatcherite cuts in the early to mid 1980s,

That was a bit before my time, grandpa. When I was there, I had the bank-style counters and flimsy chairs. Plus, there were always security guards stationed in the entrance. They ALWAYS arrived late, I wonder why.

• Your scepticism does not trump my firsthand knowledge. When I started, the 'signing on' counters were open, before I finished they had bank-style plate glass partitioning.

I remember that happening in my local 'dole office'.

I was signing on 1980/81 (for the 1st time).

This was at the height of the Thatcherite cuts in the early to mid 1980s, there were a lot of frustrated and angry people - try listening to 'Ghost Town' by the Specials, it will give you some idea of how many people felt at the time.

I saw the Specials live singing that at the time.

Yes, people were angry and I wouldn't have liked to have been at the frontline as you were - I was on the other side in the queue.

My song of the time was UB40's 'one in ten'.

I loved that album which was stolen for me by a 'sort of' boyfriend.

I ceased saying I liked things in shops because he'd always turn up with it after, having stolen the item Blush

• This was at the height of the Thatcherite cuts in the early to mid 1980s, there were a lot of frustrated and angry people - try listening to 'Ghost Town' by the Specials, it will give you some idea of how many people felt at the time.

Your scepticism does not trump my firsthand knowledge. When I started, the 'signing on' counters were open, before I finished they had bank-style plate glass partitioning. There was no money to steal, so I wonder why they were installed?

I have a friend who was in the army, he was twice in buildings that were blown up by the IRA - once a mortar attack the other a bomb - I rather think think that he was employed by the government. I also rather think that you would find some reason why he had a cushy number. 

• Luckily, nothing that unpleasant happened to me. I had a cousin who was a probation officer and he had some 'interesting' encounters.

• It's them, but they outnumber us and are self-organising, so practically, it's us!

• I surprised myself, I really did.

I gave my kid a great start, haven't been so helpful to her as an adult tho'. 

• Auitsic people can do well, then there's 500 pages on "how to cope"...

Well yeah - because we're all trying to cope in a society that at the least, is ill-equipped for us. 

Is it us? Or is it society?

• Yes, i think my dad, whilst well meaning, struggled with parenthood and I probably would too. In terms of energy at the very least.

• Well it’s caused me to be the end of my genetic line, which is very painful to me. So much for evolution.

It's done the same for me actually and I feel sad about that (although I'm aware now that having children might have been a bit of a nightmare for me as it clearly was for my mother).

But of course that just illustrates the (negative) effect of autism once again on my life.

• There's also not a lot of articles written here that paint Autism in a good light  (But there are some, thank you roswell, debbie,uhane, number and a few others only left out because I'm in a bit of a rush)

Thank you.

That surprised me.

• We are all pretty much the end of our genetic line, hadn't you noticed?

It's got less to do with your autism and more to do with how things generally are...

• Well it’s caused me to be the end of my genetic line, which is very painful to me. So much for evolution.

• I simply don't see how anyone's menteal health is preserved by pretending Autism is anything other than it it is.

Autism is a neurotype, a result of years of human evolution!

• I will admit I am struggling a lot with PMA (positive mental attitude) as I was programmed in my youth to have a fairly poor one.

I read books on autism and up to about page 10 they compare and contrast, and talk about the things Auitsic people can do well, then there's 500 pages on "how to cope"...

Now when I take a look at my own basic motivations (Kind of an obligation as a traineee christian like keeping your car in good mechanical order) I see a degree of "difference" alright, but it presents as a "disorder" to the majority.    

I simply don't see how anyone's menteal health is preserved by pretending Autism is anything other than it it is.

A failure to make a good self representaion.

The only counter to it's pernicious effects on one's life, I have so far found, is to make one's essential motivations and essence intrinsically good and useful to those around you. 

I'd LIKE to see my Autism in a good light, but I'm more interested in really knowing what it it is, than being the good guy in the "story". And that knowing, suggests that Autism gives people a LOT of REAL PROBLEMS.

There's also not a lot of articles written here that paint Autism in a good light  (But there are some, thank you roswell, debbie,uhane, number and a few others only left out because I'm in a bit of a rush)

The Only PMA I really have, is that what I have CAN be useful in some situations, and I am entitled to charge as much as anyone else for it, but actually need to charge more, if I can.

• We are different, neurodivergent! It’s so important to understand and make this paradigm shift as otherwise viewing yourself as disordered can have significant negative implications on your mental health and is not helpful for anyone.

• Speak for yourself. My workbench says otherwise.. 

I try to tell myself that it's "just different", but it isn't really...