Do you hate having ASD and wish you were neurotypical ?

Since realising that I am ‘on the spectrum, (having been assessed and diagnosed) which of course explains and gives reason for my behaviour and way of thinking, nonetheless, I’ve come to bitterly regret being this way - to the extent of feeling cursed. Does anybody else feel this way and would you - as I do - take a safe cure for it, if there was one? I’d hate to think I was alone in this regard.

Parents Reply
  • I will admit I am struggling a lot with PMA (positive mental attitude) as I was programmed in my youth to have a fairly poor one.

I read books on autism and up to about page 10 they compare and contrast, and talk about the things Auitsic people can do well, then there's 500 pages on "how to cope"...

Now when I take a look at my own basic motivations (Kind of an obligation as a traineee christian like keeping your car in good mechanical order) I see a degree of "difference" alright, but it presents as a "disorder" to the majority.    

I simply don't see how anyone's menteal health is preserved by pretending Autism is anything other than it it is.

A failure to make a good self representaion.

The only counter to it's pernicious effects on one's life, I have so far found, is to make one's essential motivations and essence intrinsically good and useful to those around you. 

I'd LIKE to see my Autism in a good light, but I'm more interested in really knowing what it it is, than being the good guy in the "story". And that knowing, suggests that Autism gives people a LOT of REAL PROBLEMS.

There's also not a lot of articles written here that paint Autism in a good light  (But there are some, thank you roswell, debbie,uhane, number and a few others only left out because I'm in a bit of a rush)

The Only PMA I really have, is that what I have CAN be useful in some situations, and I am entitled to charge as much as anyone else for it, but actually need to charge more, if I can.

Children