"Autistic" things you do.

What "autistic" things do you find yourselves doing? I do a lot of different things which I know a neurotypical wouldn't think twice about.

One of them is making sure everything in my house is straight, so the chairs, my books and DVDs on the shelf, pictures hanging on the wall and plenty more than that.

Recently I was doing up an MG Maestro and had noticed the offside headlight wasn't seated properly and was facing a little to the side. This bothered me so much, playing at the back of my mind until finally I went out and straightened it because I couldn't cope with it not being right.

I feel like I was actually approaching a meltdown, that's how much this sort of thing bothers me.

Am I alone in being this way?

Parents
  • I constantly straighten and categorise things I own and if I hear something to do with something I'm really interested in then I will info dump; God help whoever is on the receiving end lol.

And when I'm really really happy I purr like a cat lol Smiley cat it's nice around family but I've done it in front of people who don't know me and they give me the weirdest looks.

Thought I would add some more as my brain is in thinking mode right this sec.

• when I'm really really happy I purr like a cat lol

Not really the same, but I imitate my dog a lot. I try to copy her sounds perfectly as I can. One time I started barking just for fun and my mom said "Can someone see why Ali's barking?" and when I told her it was me then she didnt believe me. We recorded me barking and sent it to her family chat and they all thought I was a real dog lol

• Wow that's a cool thing to be able to do! Slight smile 

I like to mimic, though I haven't done a dog before, I like to mimic voices of actresses and cartoon characters I like. I'm not even sure if I could do an animal actually! 

I heard that mimicking is a frequent skill for a lot of people with autism. I heard that last year at a local autism group I was going to each month.

• Thank you! 

If you do your own as well let me know and I'll subscribe Slight smile

• Aw thanks Slight smile

If you do start a YT channel, let me know and ill subscribe

• Whatever you want to. You're a very eccentric and interesting person so I'm sure it would be awesome.

I've done videos for myself as a hobby. But I am thinking about doing it for Youtube at some point. I want to do autism vlogs and just about anything generally.

• Whatever you want to. You're a very eccentric and interesting person so I'm sure it would be awesome.

I've done videos for myself as a hobby. But I am thinking about doing it for Youtube at some point. I want to do autism vlogs and just about anything generally.

Children