"Autistic" things you do.

What "autistic" things do you find yourselves doing? I do a lot of different things which I know a neurotypical wouldn't think twice about.

One of them is making sure everything in my house is straight, so the chairs, my books and DVDs on the shelf, pictures hanging on the wall and plenty more than that.

Recently I was doing up an MG Maestro and had noticed the offside headlight wasn't seated properly and was facing a little to the side. This bothered me so much, playing at the back of my mind until finally I went out and straightened it because I couldn't cope with it not being right.

I feel like I was actually approaching a meltdown, that's how much this sort of thing bothers me.

Am I alone in being this way?

Parents
  • I constantly straighten and categorise things I own and if I hear something to do with something I'm really interested in then I will info dump; God help whoever is on the receiving end lol.

And when I'm really really happy I purr like a cat lol Smiley cat it's nice around family but I've done it in front of people who don't know me and they give me the weirdest looks.

Thought I would add some more as my brain is in thinking mode right this sec.

• I constantly straighten and categorise things I own and if I hear something to do with something I'm really interested in then I will info dump; God help whoever is on the receiving end lol.

And when I'm really really happy I purr like a cat lol Smiley cat it's nice around family but I've done it in front of people who don't know me and they give me the weirdest looks.

Thought I would add some more as my brain is in thinking mode right this sec.

Children
  • This reminds me a few years ago I met a woman and when talking to her she would meow occasionally. She would click her fingers and turn her head to the side and meow.

I didn't understand why it was happening as it was a totally new thing that nobody had ever done before so I ignored it and continued responding to whatever she had said before the meowing.

Some weeks later she told me she liked me because I didn't make fun of her meowing. She said she had Tourette's syndrome but that I was one of the only people not to react to it and make it a big deal. Rare autism win perhaps... I'm not sure. From my perspective I hadn't understood why she was meowing so I didn't know what to do.

I feel like there was a 50/50 chance that I just demanded "why are you meowing" but it landed on tails so I chose to continue as normal because there was a possibility I was missing some social cue.

• when I'm really really happy I purr like a cat lol

Not really the same, but I imitate my dog a lot. I try to copy her sounds perfectly as I can. One time I started barking just for fun and my mom said "Can someone see why Ali's barking?" and when I told her it was me then she didnt believe me. We recorded me barking and sent it to her family chat and they all thought I was a real dog lol