Hot Weather

Do you guys cope well in hot weather? I don't to be honest. The heat slows me down and I struggle with drinking which makes it worse. It's led to me getting anxiety attacks when it starts to get hot. At the moment I'm getting about 23 degrees where I am but by the end of the week it could be 25 degrees. I remember last year and how we had 30+ degrees. Dreading that happening again this year. I try to drink water but not too much otherwise I get bloated. I suffer from IBS, pretty chronic most of the time so it isn't always easy to just drink because I get a lot of stomach cramps which stress contributes towards. I wish it was the winter again... I personally prefer the cooler weather.

• Oh, I totally feel you on that! Hot weather is just not my jam, either. When it gets scorching outside, I become the master of indoor hibernation. I try to leave the house as little as possible on those days. Also, I constantly check the current weather [link removed by moderator] forecast to plan my outings strategically. Being active? Nope, not on hot days! I prefer to save the energy for when it cools down a bit. Indoor activities are my best friends during heat waves, and I'm always on the lookout for a good movie or a book to dive into. Fingers crossed for cooler weather soon! Winter lovers unite!

• That's exactly what I think as well. You can do a lot to warm yourself up but there's little that can keep you cool when it's 28+ degrees outside.

• TBH I prefer it to be too cold than too hot, I can put more layers on if it is cold but if it is hot once I'm down to my skin I can't take any more layers off.

• So far I'm doing ok in the heat. I've been dehydrated twice but only once have had to go to A&E which was over the weekend and involved a night at the hospital! 

I've got my fan on now and have a cool drink of squash with some ice in it.

• I don’t do well, but I do my best to stay cool. I keep windows and blinds closed all day to keep the home cool. At work, I slow down to avoid overheating. 
    I am at the age where I’m also have hot flushes. They’ve only been a thing for a few months, but they only last seconds, but I they don’t help matters.

And, I’m allergic to UVA and UVB so I remain a vampire until September …..

• This can be a problematic time for me due to the discomfort I experience when warm/hot. I’m very much a cold weather person. But it is something that aggravates the more obsessive side of my personality. I get very set on trying to keep the house as cool as possible and will become very tunnel visioned in trying to achieve the most efficient curtain/window opening schedule. I can be quite stressful and is another way I pile pressure on myself, which, when hot and bothered, can be an unfortunate combination.

• I was relieved today as we finally had one of those storms the forecasters keep mentioning so it became cooler for a while and no watering to do in the garden. 

• According to the weatherman it might be 18 degrees over night tonight.

Definitely going to need my fan on in my room.

• Hi thanks. I'm on the waiting list for a dietician, but the NHS is so slow, I've already been waiting 8+ months so not sure when they'll get round to me.

I've made my own diet changes but so far nothing has helped so I'm hoping someone professional can guide me in the right direction.

I have taken to wearing a hat when I go out, and sunnies, as my eyes are sensitive to the light.

• Adding Apple Cider Vinegar to water helps regulate sleep. 

• Hello K, I live in Brazil so get a lot of practice with dealing with the hot and humid weather.

Drinking little and often is pretty key to avoid dehydration. You may find it easier on the stomach to have the water or drink at room temperature so it doensn't cause a shock to the stomach when you swallow it.

If you can, just take a mouthfull of your drink every hour at least, or more often if you feel dry. The consequences of not doing this are unpleasant and it will typically magnify your autistic traits (especially anxiety and meltdowns) so you may need to trade off one agains the other with your IBS.

Keep your head in the shade - find a hat that is light, comfortable and won't hurt your head. And wear sunglasses to minimise the visual load your eyes get when it is so bright.

Try to wear light coloured cotton clothes - something not too tight to let it move and allow your skin to breath. Layer clothes if you will be somewhere cold so you can add or remove these to get to your preferred temp.

Avoid salty foods as these cause dehydration - fruit is great as it also has lots of water, but it will depend on how you cope with your IBS.

If you have not already done so, I strongly recommend speaking with a dietician who is knowledgeable about IBS and work out how to get your IBS under management if possible. It will make so much more of life a lot more pleasant.

For your OCD with the laundry, if you have a logic based though process I would spend some time and research how much the risk actually is - if you are thorough you will probably find the fear is irrational and the facts consign it to the bin. If you can't get past that point, then therapy is the most likely way to make progress.

Where I am now it is the equivelant to December in the UK and it has been in the mid 20's all week and people are wearing jackets because it feels cold to them. I'm still in t-shirt and shorts as I was raised in the UK and have cold blue Scottish blood in my veins.

It gets to the mid 30s a lot in the summer and everyone gets on about their jobs and lives without much fuss - the human body can handle it fine and it is largely our lack of preparation or choice of environment (eg the London underground) that leaves us struggling.

Plan, prepare and it will be fine so we can try to enjoy the beauty of a sunny day rather than hating it for being too hot.

• I have a small fan that recharges internal batteries using a USB cable. A charge last for 8 hours. You can also put water into it and it has a 'misting action' that sprays a very fine mist, with or without the fan being on. It's a big help, especially on public transport.

• I use a dryer but that's purely because my OCD and anxiety scare me that my clothes will be contaminated hanging on the line... Yeesh I need to get a handle on that. Anxiety sucks so much.

• I'm grateful for the warm, sunny, weather; as I can dry my laundry.

• Same here and sometimes have a headache. 

• Although it has been a bit a chilly at the moment I like the sunny days when it is not too hot. The cool nights have been good for sleeping too. Not looking forward to the higher temperatures and high humidity. Around 20 degrees is my pleasant temperature.

• I hate the hot weather! It's going to be hot and wet where I am this weekend and I'm dreading it because the humidity will make it so much harder to cope.

• I need to stop having so much caffeine I have way too much cola causes a lot of acid reflux.

• I'm the exact same can't really tell when I'm hot. So used to feeling that way when I'm anxious. I wish there was a really cold environment in our country which I could go to when it starts to get hot.

• 40 years end of the year and dreading it.