Is verbose speech a sign of masking?

I have been thinking recently about masking and the various means that one uses to mask. 
It has occurred to me, that the use of a ‘passive voice’ in my communication, is a big part of the way I write and speak.

I can remember all the way back to college, that tutors used to comment on my ‘wordiness’, I well-achieved (D*D*D*) in College but kids always used to say “You’re not that smart are you? You just write a lot”. The implication being that I was obscuring my lack of understanding.
The more I’ve written, the better I have gotten at writing, but I still write a lot. I find that every now and again I take on a new element of language, but I always write a lot and I never reread, I just speed-write to victory. 
In my speech I do talk a lot, talking about anything at length and for length, I enjoy getting my thoughts out and enjoy how language is constructed in my head.  
But I also speak longer words and phrases in a disagreeable situation, to offset any aggressive reaction to my imperative, I find that a great rhetorical-tool can be found in elongated words and phrases and sentences.

I have thought that: Maybe it is because I have enjoy vocabulary but not grammar, or maybe it is because I never formally-learned grammar at school, or maybe I abandoned the ‘active voice’ as a means of non-detection and non-confrontation. It may even have been, a kind-of speed writing that I developed, to safely expose myself to writing and speech.

It has not been the case, that all the individuals that I know (who have an Autism Spectrum Condition), have a circumlocutory communication style. I have known some ASC individuals, to be very literal and active in their communication, and no less intelligent.

So I guess I am just interested to know: How this style of communication sits-with and is experienced by the community? Why the community thinks it occurs? Is it born of the environment and exposure? Is it a repetitive action or an interest? Is it a means of evasion or development? Is it the result of the level of skill attainment?

Parents
  • Wow, that’s so close to my own experience of myself (and others’ reactions to/tolerance or otherwise of my largely involuntary wordiness) that I could have written it myself. Ironically I’m too burned out just now to write in my usual runaway train style so this atypically concise ‘same here!’ sentiment will have to do for now! Interesting thread though

• Thanks man.. top marks for being the first reply..:D

Of all the literature that I have read, I don’t really come across it that often, I catch ‘pedantic’ speech a lot though. 
    I’ve always considered verbosity, to be a core tenant of my ‘peculiarity’, as I called it prior to diagnosis. I’ve been trying to work through all of the ‘extra stuff’ I’ve accrued, as an undiagnosed individual, and this is one of those pieces I have trouble finding a fit for.

No worries man, I ‘get’ being burned out, thanks again..

• Thanks man.. top marks for being the first reply..:D

Of all the literature that I have read, I don’t really come across it that often, I catch ‘pedantic’ speech a lot though. 
    I’ve always considered verbosity, to be a core tenant of my ‘peculiarity’, as I called it prior to diagnosis. I’ve been trying to work through all of the ‘extra stuff’ I’ve accrued, as an undiagnosed individual, and this is one of those pieces I have trouble finding a fit for.

No worries man, I ‘get’ being burned out, thanks again..

Children
  • My vocabulary is not fantastic being honest. I do take a log winded approach to getting to a point and through the pressure from others often forget the point I was getting to. It bloody hurts so much, that sinking feeling when people are looking at you hanging on to your words and then you just don’t get there. Then I have that conversation over and over again sometimes for weeks and it’s perfect in my head. 
    Im sure I would come across a lot smarter if my brain could keep up with communication. 

• I had suspected undiagnosed-bipolar for mine, my grandfather is without a doubt autistic though, and youve never seen a more-disaffective person..

• I couldn’t agree more..

• Sod the old days!  I am a case that is often considered to be "mental" or "super weird" or "unsettling" by many folk who encounter me.......when I am not trying to maintain a modicum of fained normalcy.

• A good part of Yoga is aimed to stop the internal dialogue. Accordingly to modern yogi, almost everyone can learn to stop it with a few years of practice.

• There is a consistent overlap between schizophrenia and ASD and an higher incidence of schizophrenia in ASD sufferers than normal. I suspect that my schizo father was also an undiagnosed ASD.

• There are cases in the old days of autists being diagnosed as schizophrenic over such things..

• Yes.  I do.  A very loud and persistent one.

• I've wondered, I think this is something everyone has, surely?

• I do I’ve literally satisfied my life goals while in my inner world.. I’ve been rejected or disappointed by people, then I daydream about an ideal scenario, and feeling fine because they couldn’t stop me thinking my best life..Sweat smile

• Curious if anyone here ALSO has an internal dialogue/monologue? 

• I think I do say ‘yes’ to a lot of things and am happy enough to get exploited. 

But there comes a point where a have to say ‘no’, which can be in moments that seem odd to some, for example I will not excuse myself when I am being blamed without cause.  
    I’ll give my plea once, and then starts the charade, but I can frustrate a-lot of people who just would like to sate their frustration.

I find that my rhetorical-tactics run along the same lines as overload, shutdown and meltdown. 
    I’ll reach my intuitive limit, then I’ll resort to speed-socials, then I’ll evade, then we have a tirade on our hands.  
    But the older I get the stronger my defences are.I wouldn’t call what I do small-talk though, I’d sooner call it rambling as I don’t actually require another participant, once we are past a social point..

• Yes and another way to avert conflict and 'mask' is actually to just say 'Yes' to everything and constantly trying to please and say what people want to hear... It's one I struggle with a lot and it can land me in a lot of trouble.

• I am in myself a fairly-assertive individual, and I dislike being challenged with assumption, so I can end up going toe-to-toe with some pretty aggressive people.  

I can use long-words to say insults and retaliate without it leading to violence, because it turns out that aggression is an indicator that a person has no more words, if the words are short they can provoke action (if you don’t allow yourself to be pushed). 

I think when I was younger I was mute most of the time, because saying and doing nothing is also an averter of aggression, my words are my shield from neurotypical assumption i feel. 

• I can get people who say direct and aggressive things to me like “when you getting a job” and I divert the question with passive verbosity, because I don’t want to answer question or give them a two-finger salute, then they end up calling me arrogant or condescending..?!

I end up diverting to such a degree and so effectively, that they forget that they initiated the conversation, that they are being irritated by.. but it suits me because at least the initial interrogation has been averted..

• For the record, I like the way you write.  It reminds me of a certain author.  Of course I’ve forgotten which one. :). I do think it might be masking, to answer your question.  I’m so afraid of unintentionally annoying or offending someone by not explaining myself well.  So I overdo it. I’m afraid of not being believed, so I give too much detail and justification.  I’m so used to having to work so hard to gain acceptance that I work really hard to communicate correctly - which, ironically, has the opposite effect ;).  So I can see how it is a form of masking.  

• I used to work with a farm-manager that used to love awkward silence, he used to answer questions with a few words, and it would just send me off into a flurry of words. 

One time I we were going ‘somewhere’ and he hadn’t been speaking, so I’d been windily-gusting a digression at him, when he finally interjected. 
    He said “I just thought I’d tell you, that we’ve arrived and our destination, and you’ve literally just talked for four hours”.. awkward silence.. “oh, well, anyway..” blah, blah, blah..
    He just started laughing and we continued on our way..:D Honestly, it probably did start off with the awkward silence, but my interest is what took me away.  

Really, I just end up subjecting and subjecting and subjecting, to a point where the conversation never ends. It’s literally speed-thinking and speed-writing and speed-reading until I no longer have the physical dexterity to continue..

It feels like a ‘chicken and the egg’ scenario in which my interest feeds of my anxiety (and vice versa) until I’m exhausted and beyond..

• I have this problem too.  Saying far more than is necessary to convey a point.  I make fun of myself about it now but really, when it’s happening, all the words feel necessary, and the big vocabulary is just how I communicate.  Many mistake it for arrogance 

• I’ll say a bit more when I feel up to it. One thing I find is that when I can sense people getting to the end of their tether with my over elaborate sidewinding towards a point, it just makes me worse. I can feel a rising panic about it (hoping to god they don’t think it’s some affectation but generally knowing they usually know me well enough to know it’s not but still feeling wretched for them as I ramble on) and I start over analysing what I’m doing and somehow the jumble of words and tangents gets worse. My family are the ones who feel most comfortable saying to me ‘can we get to the f**ing point some time today?!’ Which can be funny but they still haven’t learned that it makes me trip over my own verbosity all the more. They just delay the ‘point’ even more! Can you or anyone relate to this aspect?