Mental illness

The job centre have now referred me to the government RESTART scheme, run by a private company called Maximus.

Yesterday I had my induction, phone appointment.  As part of this induction they asked about my health and disabilities and the women on the line often repeated what I said, to double check the accuracy.  I mentioned autism, she repeated, ' you suffer from the mental illness autism.'

• These people don't follow the government rules regarding refunding travel expenses.  They are private companies trying to maximise profits.

At the start Maximus refunded bus fares, just like Reed in partnership did in 2018.  Now just like Reed they are making excuses.  They don't have the change, they will refund the money after my next appointment, they don't have the time because their appointments are running late.

• They all do cause there ignorant fucks and don't understand that autism isn't a mental illnesses. Welcome to the ignorance of Neuro Typicals.

• I should think in the case of the one who refused, they should try again to the HR dept, who can from record state your employment dates.

It been some years since I worked for the MET but that's what would happen now. HR sends a letter saying x date to x date with good conduct. They just do a quick check for dates and discipline. I can however ask people I worked with to write personal references commenting on skills etc, but they don't do that "on behalf of" the Met.

• It's a mixture, I think. In my little spell with them I met with one more senior member of staff sometimes, who was great. She wanted to be helpful and was trusting that I knew what I was doing in relation to my own approach to job hunting. She could see it was getting me interviews.

But the staff are put under pressure to 'catch as many people out' as they can and I did meet with a few more junior staff who said some very patronising things and seemed to be directing that I do some pointless things. Honestly, I've held more senior positions than them and know more about how to get myself where I'm going than them. 

Don't take any of this stuff personally, they are mini dictators with everyone. 

Some of the comments here have good advice about Disability Employment Advisors and reasonable adjustments etc. It's a shame we have to get assertive about the stuff that should come as standard. It's all so very trying. But yeah! Don't get unco-operative, they'll only start sanctioning, but do get assertive.

If they actually want you to get a job, they are going to have to work with your autistic skill set not against it.

• Yes, that was going through my mind actually that you could spend half your income just getting to these things. How are you supposed to eat?

They don't always tell you but they are supposed to reimburse some travel expenses. I had a short period of unemployment when I had to go to an interview in Manchester. Train fare was £70. I found out only through the back door that they are supposed to give you a travel warrant or reimburse. I did get my £70 back.

I'd keep your tickets and make an enquiry.

• Goodness. That's worrying.

• Good God, and where in this dizzy round of conflicting appointments of overlapping schemes, do they expect you to fit in some actual job hunting?

These guys sound more like a hindrance than a help in finding work.

• Oh dear. The level of ignorance is quite appalling, isn't it?

• An update on my job search.

I have been offered a temporary job through an employment agency with a provisional start date of 10 January 2022.  However, this is subject to a DBS check and three satisfactory references from recent employers.

These referees have turned out to be unexpected hurdles.  I was told by employment advisors that these days a reference is just confirmation that one has been employed somewhere and nothing more, because giving out personal details would be a breach of confidentiality.  But, this employment agency has sent out a  questionnaire about my performance to my referees.  One referee has refused to fill it out because my original manager has gone to a different company and the new manager didn't work with me personally.  The other two referees have not replied because places are closed over Christmas/ new year.

Job centre appointments and harassment is continuing.  I had an unexpected telephone call from the DWP on Dec 24, which I missed, will I be sanctioned for this?  I had a face to face job centre appointment on Dec 30.  I have further face to face appointments on Jan 7.  In the morning it's the job centre and in the afternoon at Maximus.  At each job centre appointment I still have to go through two security questions, despite the advisor knowing me personally because I've seen him a dozen times.  What will happen if I  get pissed off and intentionally fail the security questions?

• The situation is even more muddled.  At one appointment at Maximus, they did a job search for me and I picked three jobs I wanted to apply for.  Maximus promised to forward my CV and I asked them to email me details of these jobs in case I got an interview and I wanted to know what jobs I was applying for.

I mentioned these three jobs at my next job centre appointment and my work coach wanted to know details of these three jobs because they should be included in my online universal credit journel.  I contacted Maximus, but they have been strangely silent on the matter since they said that they would get back to me.

• Autism isn't a mental illnesses I'd be insauleted if someone classified my autism as a mental illnesses. Autism is is just a different mind set it's to do with the brain and how it effects your way of thinking. But hey that's Nurotypicals for you.  I hate being autistic myself not gona lie. But it's far from s mental illnesses. Instein was Autistic he was far from mental. Personally they don't sound like a good idea especially if they effect your benefits. Being autistic. Even if you work part time your entitled to a full top up to make it up what a full time worker would earn something sounds shady about this maximus scheme personally I wouldn't trust them if they refer to autism as mental health.

• Robert, why have you not asked to see a Disability Employment Advisor at the job centre? You shouldn't be looking for work if you are not mentally or physically well. Do you have a formal diagnosis of ASD, if so, you can ring them and tell them that you cannot attend the JC anymore and they need to make alternative contact arrangements. They have to make reasonable adjustments for you if you are autistic. And the most common one is to conduct appointments over the phone or virtually.  

You can ask for a Work Capability Assessment too. 

• Another update.

I am really having to go in person  to the job centre weekly and explain what I'm doing to find work, although all the information is written down in my online work journal and is accessible to my universal credit workcoach.

At my last meeting, yesterday, he made it clear that my next meeting is the next available slot.

Possible reasons for this concentrated harassment are:

1. They suspect that I'm actually working and claiming benefits.
    2. They want me to miss a appointment and so suspend my benefits.
    3. They are genuinely trying to help.

The end result is that I'm getting more tired and more and more suicidal.

• i have heard of people signing on virtually or by phone but i havent experienced that for real

• always keep some back for the next appointment 

• That's the restart scheme.  They do refund travel expenses.

I am talking about the normal signing on at the job centre.  Appointments only 5 days apart!

4. Support for the unemployed

Jobcentre Plus Travel Discount Card

This is provided to those unemployed claiming Jobseekers Allowance or Universal Credit for 3-9 months (18-24 year olds) or 3-12 months (over 25s). Other benefit recipients may receive a Jobcentre Plus Travel Discount Card from 3 months of their claim and if they are actively engaged with a Jobcentre Plus adviser. Cardholders are entitled to a 50% discount on selected rail tickets.

Flexible support fund

May be used at the discretion of Jobcentre Plus staff to help with the cost of travelling to an interview, training or for the first months of travelling to work.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/support-to-help-with-the-cost-of-transport/support-to-help-with-the-cost-of-transport

• At today's appointment the staff outnumbered the clients by about 3 to 1.

Nearby there was an elderly gentleman on crutches explaining what he was doing to find work in order to get paid his benefits.

I showed proof of eight job applications in the last two weeks.

• That's the restart scheme.  They do refund travel expenses.

I am talking about the normal signing on at the job centre.  Appointments only 5 days apart!