Mental illness

The job centre have now referred me to the government RESTART scheme, run by a private company called Maximus.

Yesterday I had my induction, phone appointment.  As part of this induction they asked about my health and disabilities and the women on the line often repeated what I said, to double check the accuracy.  I mentioned autism, she repeated, ' you suffer from the mental illness autism.'

Parents
  • Another update.

I am really having to go in person  to the job centre weekly and explain what I'm doing to find work, although all the information is written down in my online work journal and is accessible to my universal credit workcoach.

At my last meeting, yesterday, he made it clear that my next meeting is the next available slot.

Possible reasons for this concentrated harassment are:

1. They suspect that I'm actually working and claiming benefits.
    2. They want me to miss a appointment and so suspend my benefits.
    3. They are genuinely trying to help.

The end result is that I'm getting more tired and more and more suicidal.

• It's a mixture, I think. In my little spell with them I met with one more senior member of staff sometimes, who was great. She wanted to be helpful and was trusting that I knew what I was doing in relation to my own approach to job hunting. She could see it was getting me interviews.

But the staff are put under pressure to 'catch as many people out' as they can and I did meet with a few more junior staff who said some very patronising things and seemed to be directing that I do some pointless things. Honestly, I've held more senior positions than them and know more about how to get myself where I'm going than them. 

Don't take any of this stuff personally, they are mini dictators with everyone. 

Some of the comments here have good advice about Disability Employment Advisors and reasonable adjustments etc. It's a shame we have to get assertive about the stuff that should come as standard. It's all so very trying. But yeah! Don't get unco-operative, they'll only start sanctioning, but do get assertive.

If they actually want you to get a job, they are going to have to work with your autistic skill set not against it.

• It's a mixture, I think. In my little spell with them I met with one more senior member of staff sometimes, who was great. She wanted to be helpful and was trusting that I knew what I was doing in relation to my own approach to job hunting. She could see it was getting me interviews.

But the staff are put under pressure to 'catch as many people out' as they can and I did meet with a few more junior staff who said some very patronising things and seemed to be directing that I do some pointless things. Honestly, I've held more senior positions than them and know more about how to get myself where I'm going than them. 

Don't take any of this stuff personally, they are mini dictators with everyone. 

Some of the comments here have good advice about Disability Employment Advisors and reasonable adjustments etc. It's a shame we have to get assertive about the stuff that should come as standard. It's all so very trying. But yeah! Don't get unco-operative, they'll only start sanctioning, but do get assertive.

If they actually want you to get a job, they are going to have to work with your autistic skill set not against it.

Children
No Data