Big Disappointments

I'm doing a big of a bucket-list run-through and trying things I've never done before.

The last two have been real let-downs - I tried black pudding - never liked the thought of it - and it was gross - like a great big greasy scab.

The other is something that my brother-in-law has been promoting for years - a McFish Fillet burger.   It's the only thing he eats from McD.

Had one yesterday - it's just a big fish finger with practically no flavour.   Watery and bland.    It rates as a great big 'meh'.

What have you done recently that was not as described?

• Can't even remember why I had caviar, when I was growing up our neighbours were Swedish and they had it for some reason. It tasted of absolutely nothing, really nothing special at all.

• The crackly line instantly made me think of this:-

Dalek relaxation HAHA...

www.youtube.com/watch

As for mindfulness, I've been on an introductory course and found it extremely beneficial when operated in person with the tutor right there. It is not for everyone though as everything is not for everybody.

• I went to a 'mindfulness' workshop over zoom. We had to listen to grating crackly audio telling us to be relaxed and I can tell you it was not a relaxing and I did not 'feel sleepy'. All of this talk about 'letting your thoughts pass by' sounds more like 'mindlessness' than 'mindfulness' to me and I get annoyed or just find it too funny. (I know it helps some people. I just personally get on better with chill music and youtube yoga.)

• And that's the problem with the food chain - one way or another, you are eating bottom feeders - the shellfish get eaten by fish which in turn are eaten by bigger fish.      The Russians still dump their old nuclear stuff in the Baltic so their shrimps probably glow in the dark. Smiley

• Avoid anything Baltic, I read that it is the worlds most polluted sea. There is a 30+ year turnaround for refreshing the toxic waters (which are re-toxified more intensely in those 30+ years).

• Yeah - I'm not sure I would want to try caviar - I'm a bit of a food 'normy' - I like meat & two veg.    I don't eat composite animals -anything with is balls and brains and guts and gills all in the same box - like crab or mussels - I don't do any seafood apart from fish - and even then just the fillets.   

• Ugh they sound revolting! I had caviar once, it was tasteless.

I did a Critical Thinking course online. Always good to learn that in these strange times of information overload and nutty conspiracy theories.

The course was great BUT it was a lot of information to take in during the 8 weeks and I was too overwhelmed to learn much. However, I have got the notes and will read slowly through them in the future.

• Strangely enough, other people have said the Bury black puddings are the best - and my dad's family all live there (we were in Oldham many years ago).

• I'm sorry to hear the your first black pudding attempt was disappointing.

The best black pudding I ever tried was a bury black pudding, it had been boiling in a pan to oblivion, with reconstituted Colman's mustard it remains an unequaled gastronomic delight. Today they just  microwave it - yuk. Another good way is to fry it to a slight crisp in the juices of an English breakfast frying pan.

I just spent £100 on 2 pairs of walking boots that were not as described, I looked into returning them but the process is so convoluted I decided to keep them and hopefully learn not to use that supplier again. Incidentally when I tried them on they are very comfortable, just not sturdy enough to be up to the job of a walking boot.