What TV shows do you like?

Are there any shows that are helping you get through the strange days we're living through?

I like those reality competitions e.g. the Bake Off, Sewing Bee, Best Home Cook, Pottery Throwdown etc. And things like Bridgerton and Winx, which are total fantasy escapes from reality.

I also remembered Detectorists. Does anyone watch that? A nice, subtle series with nothing horrible happening.

Parents Reply Children
  • No, I get scared and imagine it all happening in real life and imagine what if it happened to me or my family? I am scared all the time in real life so I don't need more things to scare me. I need soothing, calming shows...

• Also, it's a mystery to follow and trying to guess who the bad guy is in a lot of these shows is half the enjoyment for me. Though I think I clearly watch them too much as I often get it right way before they reveal the bag guy. 

• I find creepy and programmes oddly relaxing. I think because it's creepy and not real whereas real life is creepy and real. So it somehow becomes quite relaxing for me. I think because ultimately in these shows good guys are on the rescue. And programmes like Criminal Minds and Law & order and the like end with the bad guy caught most of the time. 

• Yes that was horrid. I think I was tougher when I was younger and things didn't affect me so much. Now I'm older I am more squeamish.

• There was a particularly nasty episode I thought by Buffy standards, the one where Buffy was wished away and vampires had succeeded in taking over.

People on a conveyor belt for "mass production" of vampire food.... wasn't this supposed to be a kids show?? (but fun for adults too!)

• Ugh I keep away from creepy shows. The creepiest I can do is Buffy and Shadowhunters.

• The X-Files had some genuinely creepy episodes - although a lot of them were people wandering round dark warehouses with torches. "Home" was banned from TV for a while - the content was pretty grim.

Fringe was classic sci-fi. Parallel universes and that kind of thing (it appears I'm looking at it through nostalgia glasses - as I watched every season bar the last one and there's episodes I don't remember that crop up on the "creepyist fringe episodes" list.