Tea or coffee?

I’m just finishing my 3rd coffee of the day (I really need to cut down again!) and just wondered what hot drink other people prefer? Are you a coffee drinker or do you prefer tea or perhaps you like herbal tea (good flavour recommendations welcome!) or something else? How do you take your tea/coffee/other. I drink strong black coffee with no milk or sugar but with half cold water due to sensitive gums; I don’t drink tea but do drink herbal teas depending on the flavour, lemon, ginger and manuka honey is a current favourite but peppermint and liquorice is a recent fail on the herbal tea front!

• That's interesting, the coffee plus cigarette association and the fact that you stopped being able to tolerate the smell of coffee once you stopped smoking! I always used to smoke my first cigarette along with drinking my first coffee but have kept up the coffee habit despite managing to break the smoking habit!

I think that too much caffeine of any description can make us ill, it's not good for the heart rate!

There's some tips for hot chocolate higher up this thread :-)

• I guess if you had to put up with the smell of Earl Grey every day from morning to night, that might explain why you are so sensitised to it?

• Oh wow! I remember those China tea sets from when I was a child! The one in your family seems as though it must be antique by now?

• I might have to look into ordering my coffee online!

• That reminds me, I must get some more coffee pods for my coffee machine, anything caramel is good :-)

• It's important to have a decent sized Mug so that it can be filled with a decent amount of coffee :-)

I shall try Chai Tea at some point and see what I think of it!

• I used to go broke buying coffee and then had to stop doing that, so was the long fun journey of home brewing. You know I tend to go for South American blends but I have heard Ethiopian can be chocolatey too. I'm guessing their beans grow lower elevation then. I will lookingto it. Thx 

• I have the coffee posted to me. This one is Coffee Compass. There are quite a few out there.

• Technically I prefer tea (the posh flavoured ones I can't usually afford), but I always drink coffee for two reasons: caffeine, and dipping. I don't know why everyone dips their biscuits in tea, it tastes a lot better (IMO) with coffee, and also symbolises my rebellion against British culture Stuck out tongue

• I used to drink black coffee alot I would have one with a cigarette, then I quit smoking and could not stand the smell of coffee, so I drank tea wich I obsessively drank until I stopped completely as I thought it might be making me ill, 

I drink some times hot chocolate or hurbal teas without caffeine.

• Yes they do actually. The set has been I'm the family for a long time since about my great great great grandfather I believe.

• the mug has to be a bit wider half way up then narrower near the top, like a cylinder with bulging sides.  Other shapes such as a cone shape  with a  wider top, the drink gets cold too quickly.  I have a lot of mugs and my favourite was a present in the bulgy shape, medium size. 

There are lots of chai types and in my view too many with vanilla, but I recommend to try a few as you could hate one but love another.  

• I hate Earl Grey tea, from the smell to the taste of it.

My first landlady,  when I was lodging at college was an early grey fan. It was the only tea she would buy and drink.  It was Earl Grey every day.   I hated it from the first time I tasted it. Nine months later I was still hating it.

And I have avoided it since then.

• My eldest daughter likes Chai tea but I have never tried it! Maybe I should try it just so that I know what it tastes like! I think I would like the cinnamon though as it’s my favourite spice.

I hope that you enjoy trying all of the different flavour teas in your tea advent calendar.

I’m very fussy about what mug I have my coffee in too, recently I’ve taken to using the plastic, lidded coffee containers. Which mug do you prefer to use? 
    I have never tried Ethiopian coffee! I must find one of these roasteries! Thank you for the recommendation:-)

• I like the smell of peppermint but not the taste, weirdly! It’s good to have a drink to warm you up in the colder days! No worries, not everyone likes coffee!

• No worries! 
    Have you tried the caramel latte? I like one of those from my coffee machine!

Oh wow! I’ve never considered buying my beans from a roastery, you’re lucky there is one near you, How big a selection of coffee beans do they sell? 
    Ginger coffee is lush Slight smile although the homemade one did give me a tummy ache after a while, from the raw ginger so might be best to stick to shop bought ginger coffee, 

• We could start a petition to supersize the espresso?

• Thanks for sharing! Do your mother and father have one of those traditional China tea sets? 

• In our home it has always been tea. My family runs back for many generations according to my Gran and we're terribly British so every day my mother and father have tea in a china cup and saucer which is also generations old.

I grew up on tea as well and also drink it. I find coffee okay but only drink it every now and then.

• I prefer Twinnings Peppermint Tea. Does it for me everytime especially now that it's getting cold. Love it. Not a coffee person,sorry!Yum