British Museum

Way too many people. Queuing to have our bags searched was the worst part. But it was worth it!

Parents Reply Children
  • JoyJoyJoy That’s reassuring to know though ;) 

• you never know what you're going to come away with

Well, certainly no STD's..................Innocent

• Thanks. I'm not ready to move on to an apple laptop yet. I possible will get one, but not just yet. And yeah, I don't want it too big as I do move about a lot (usually), obviously not while I'm in burnout. 

I've screenshot what you said so I can take that with ms when I go shopping 

• Trade-off more memory for less processor capacity - 8 GiB RAM may be a reasonable starting point.  You probably don't need a particularly powerful graphics processor - the integrated graphics in the CPU may well be enough.  You might prefer a larger screen, but limited by how much you are willing to lug about!  If you are patient you probably don't need a solid state disk (SSD).  Whichever you get, make sure you get an external hard drive so you can backup your data.

Laptops running Windows are cheaper than Apple laptops plus more "industry standard".  But the software you want to run will probably dictate that the most.  On the other hand, Apple laptops tend to be more shiny.

• It's for work, so doing Skype type calls, delivering online workshops, writing, working on documents etc. It's not for gaming or anything but sometimes I have lots going on at one time so lots of files open that I flick through etc. That sort of thing 

• Swimwear model sounds fab Ok hand tone4 I'm not sure I'd be keen on outdoor shoots in this weather though Laughing I think you should be the man that, when someone wants to buy something specific, you sell em something completely different ~ you would get a reputation and people will be like, I want a new tv but I'm going to see cloudy, because it's like Christmas every day with him, you never know what you're going to come away with JoyRoflStuck out tongue winking eye

• And if you’ve got any expertise on laptops, do you have any recommendations for laptops? 

What do you want it for?

• Yeah, definitely. New career move?

I was thinking of being a swimwear model to be honest, or joining a boy band.........Wink

...and especially considering I was after a laptop

I could go into schools and warn kids about "the dangers of buying Lenovo".

So many choices!

• ...and especially considering I was after a laptop JoyJoyJoyOk hand tone3

• Yeah, definitely. New career move? Laughing

• Yeah, I'd say try them. Well worth the money. They have loaaads of anti-reflective coating on the inside and outside of the lenses too. The good stuff they put on watches and high-end camera lenses. All the other stuff at that price point has half the features. Titanium frames and titanium oxide nose pads too, so the nose pads don't go yellow with sweat, and they are light.

I should be a salesman, lol, I just read that!Laughing

• Lol! Great tip on the sunglasses though. I love the idea of the vivid colours. I usually get prescription glasses and I’ll still get a pair of subscription ones, but I had already decided on a non prescription pair as well for when I wear contact lenses 

• I like them because it's not like the sunglasses make the world drab, just darker. I bought a pair, just because of the way you have to keep taking them on and off when you go outside and inside. When I put them on after a few minutes I was amazed at the way colours were still vivid. Quite different.

BTW don't ask me about lappy's. I bought a Lenovo, twice. So I'm not the best person to ask!Stuck out tongue winking eye

• That’s great Thumbsup tone3 thanks. I love these kind of tips and I am about ready for a new pair of sunglasses. 

• feel free to post more tips.

Ok, sunglasses wise, I buy Serengeti. They aren't the cheapest. I know a site that does the pair I like for £80, but, and this is a big but, they have lenses that are photochromatic. They adjust to light, so if you do go into a darker room, or the sun goes in the lens goes clearer, and they don't drown colour out. You can see colours more or less properly, unlike normal sunglasses, they have lots of shades too, so if you need colour tints they have lots of colours.

https://www.discountedsunglasses.co.uk/serengeti-sunglasses/?SearchSortBy=MAN

Look for the photochromatic ones. Great.

• agree abour sennheisers but they're feircely expensive.

The noise cancelling ones are. The cans are the best value for the price.

but if you just want to kill noise then industrial ear defenders are cheap and effective

Have a look at that link I put up for BlueRay. They are ear defenders with an inverse wave that can deal with over 80db for cancelling.

• p.s. please anybody, feel free to post more tips. And if you’ve got any expertise on laptops, do you have any recommendations for laptops? 

• Thanks extra, I’m not even thinking about them any more, at the minute. But they’re useful tips, thank you. I’ve a few things to do before I get headphones, and at my current snails pace, it could take a while Laughing but when I’m ready, I’ll come back to this post, and I’ll either ask for more advice, or if I figure out what I want, from all this great into and I’ll make my choice, and let you know what I got Blush thanx Pray tone3

• I'm a big fan of noise cancellation - agree abour sennheisers but they're feircely expensive. I listen to music so the active cancelling is crucial - but if you just want to kill noise then industrial ear defenders are cheap and effective.

• I think that hitting the lows we have, and getting over them does give us an even more positive outlook after diagnosis. I look at some of the places that people I was associated with are now, and I'm grateful that for some reason, I've been given a new life basically.

I didn't do too bad career wise myself. I wasn't happy though. I was constantly chasing salary, and not considering what it was doing to me. I also had a few illegal irons in the fire at times. I was a great functioning addict, Clonazepam was my drug of choice. Alcohol too. I did everything else too, but those were my fuel. I could have kept pushing through, but there was always going to be a "day of reckoning". It came at the right time.

I thought I hated my past, but I'd say that I learned a lot from it all. Even bad experiences are still experiences. You learn from it all. I'm savvy to a lot of things I wouldn't have been otherwise.

It's all been great in a lot of ways these last few years, very, very hard at the start, but acceptance of my situation has allowed me to appreciate how life has really been better to me than I'd thought.

Relationships have improved, bad relationships have faded away, and the real ones have endured.

I like your outlook. We all have bad days, I know I do, but all this has given me the outlook to develop tools, and a lifestyle to cope.

Up and down is expected. It's nice to be alive to try and balance it all out now!