Doctor Who

I have loved Doctor Who.  The old episodes and the newish ones. 

But I am not a fan of the new series. I have no problem, NO problem with a female Doctor. But the new series is not great. The Rosa Parks and Partition episodes were ok.

Weirdly, if you take the sci-fi out if those episodes and with a little tinkering, they would have been VERY FINE stand alone dramas.

However, it’s all a bit bland.  Is it the writing? Is it too much change? Should we have had more familiar aliens ie Daleks etc to ground the new Doctor in? More peril? Is it too real? Too educational l (one episode the phrase “remember you NVQ Pensive), too many companions? One surely is enough.

At the moment from episode 1, it has lost around 3 million viewers. 

So what do you like? What do you dislike? What could be done better? 

• I am a big fan of Doctor Who!! I love the whacky, sometimes serious and totally amazing personality and traits of each and every Doctor. I think I love most of all how much exploring and seeing the Doctor does, and the Tardis is just amazing, what a great idea that was. I do a lot of writing and a lot of the time my main characters are based on the Doctor, a man or woman who has a big heart and is only there to lend a helping hand, and sometimes a sacrifice if things get too bad. I find the show relaxing and inspiring and that hasn't really stopped with the 13th Doctor...

I think she is quite an entertaining Doctor. She has a caring nature and a sort of mother's temper which she's let loose a couple of times. I also like her bubbly personality, we saw a lot of that in Ker-Blam! (my favourite episode so far!). There is a certain feel to me like she's not very Doctorish at times but that's more likely down to the script and writers, you act how you're written to act so I put it down to that. She's only as good as her script and so far, I am loving it!

I can't wait to see what else they have in store for us.

• Apparently the producer and Jodie are set to quit next year.  Apparently they don’t like having to do so many episodes in a year.  

I think Jose could be a fine Doctor, but in large parts the writing is inconsistent.  It doesn’t know yet what it is meant to be. 

The balance is not there yet.  It can be educational and adventurous. But centring on one at the expense of the other, makes it difficult. 

• Just an update. The Doctor Who episode on a Sunday which followed the old format, got higher ratings. 

• I think a lot of it has been the writing. At the beginning, I think, they wanted something completely new. But didn’t know what.

Hence why the series has been so uneven. I like to think or hope they realised you need to refer back to previous series or it’s just another sci-fi show.

Watching the YouTube clip was the first time I connected with Jodie’s Doctor. Her reactions to her delivery was what done it for me.

Fingers crosses.

• That's encouraging - with previous Doctors I've often only really accepted them in the role after a few weeks. Regarding Jodie starting to seem more like the Doctor, this could even be intentional on the part of the scriptwriters. I'm still trying to get used to DW being on Sunday. In my mind it is still a Saturday thing! 

• Hi Kaz. Would you be able to make a YouTube clip where Jodie’s Doctor says to Sam Shaw (The alien) I am the Doctor, but use Murray Gold’s music titled “I am the Doctor.?”

Also I start to get sensory problems with DW theme tune.  I did with Hartnells as well. But not the orchestral version.

• You're not the only one on the thread - but you can't expect everyone else to be here on a Saturday evening - if you watch the patterns on this site, there are peaks & troughs and subjects that will get more input. (Yes, I've assimilated the data patterns - typical Aspie).

I loved the craziness of the Tom Baker era - if you're aware of the BBC at the time, you'll see that they were obsessed with the whole hippy-trippy culture and European locations.

I guess the 60s art students had infiltrated the management and the governmental dictat of brainwashing the public that the forthcoming allegiance to the EUSSR was a great idea - so there were additional funds made availalble from Brussels for location filming 'promoting European culture'.

The gentle feminist leanings meant we started to get some worthwhlie assistants like Leela, Nyssa and Romana rather than the typical screamers that always needed rescuing.

Tennant made the Dr a lot more solid and serious and Rose was the most dynamic and independent assistant - my daughter cried her eyes out on her last episode. The ones following have been dull BBC replicants that don't measure up.

• I realise that it’s just me on this feed, but I just saw a trailer for this week’s on YouTube. Guess what.... it felt like the old DW. 

Jodie’s Doctor feels more settled and like the Doctor.  I just hope It hasn’t been set up for fall. 

• I’m just watching the David Tennant and Rose Doctor Who.  I forgot how good it was. 

• Actually I think that’s it Plastic. This series of DW is very much like Star Trek!

• I think the thing is the doctor tries to do the right thing.  Inevitably ending with a carnage. But he/she tries.

• I for one love the fact there is someone intelligent, thoughtful and doesn’t automatically reach for a weapon to solve problems. 

If you want intergalactic social workers, there's always Star Trek the Next Gen.

• I could have written it better. Whilst watching a Who documentary years ago similiar complaints were levelled at the marvellous Tom Baker’s Doctor. 

On different forums for DW, there does seem to be a consensus that the marketing for Jodie’s Doctor was mishandled. I.e it alienated by those who were cautious about the new Doctor and the writing by labelling them sexist pigs.

I for one love the fact there is someone intelligent, thoughtful and doesn’t automatically reach for a weapon to solve problems. 

I just feel that this series is a bit, bland and maybe even timid.

• Can't really agree with that - he's been quite mean to the Daleks, Cybermen, Autons and many other baddies. He seems fairly happy with the occasional genocide before teatime.

• The character goes round saving people due to his massive guilty conscience, so he's hardly going to be a raving nationalist line them all up in and field and bomb the bas***** type of person! :-D

• It's been a "left-wing PC propaganda advert" since day one; the Daleks are basically ***.

• Regarding Who’s left wing writing.  I think it’s always been there, but....It’s been very overt in this series. 

• I loved Capaldi and Matt Smith. Favourite assistant was Clara, but she perhaps stayed a series too long. 

I loved Clara’s and The Doctor’s (Smith’s) relationship. Both his and Capaldi’s Doctor I thought showed different versions of Autism.

I think it’s just a radical change from the past. Is it too much.