Doctor Who

I have loved Doctor Who.  The old episodes and the newish ones. 

But I am not a fan of the new series. I have no problem, NO problem with a female Doctor. But the new series is not great. The Rosa Parks and Partition episodes were ok.

Weirdly, if you take the sci-fi out if those episodes and with a little tinkering, they would have been VERY FINE stand alone dramas.

However, it’s all a bit bland.  Is it the writing? Is it too much change? Should we have had more familiar aliens ie Daleks etc to ground the new Doctor in? More peril? Is it too real? Too educational l (one episode the phrase “remember you NVQ Pensive), too many companions? One surely is enough.

At the moment from episode 1, it has lost around 3 million viewers. 

So what do you like? What do you dislike? What could be done better? 

• By the way, I read a great comment by someone on youtube about dw. The Doctor should be like you eccentric Uncle or Aunt who takes you on dangerous adventures. 

Another said you can play the Doctor in two ways: a strict Headmaster or the socratic method. Playing the idiot but really knowing whats going on and letting the companions come to there own conclusion. 

• I have a new theory about what is going on at the Beeb and Dr Who.

There are reports that the Producer Chris and Jodie Whittaker are to leave soon. No-one will confirm this only to say there will be one more series in 2020.

So here is the theory:

Say for instance J and C signed on for X number of years.  Let’s say 3 years. By moving the Christmas special into 2019 and a new series in 2020 they have met there contractual obligations. They leave without penalty and the beeb without a scandal. 

• I would be interested in how quickly other series produce a series.  Particularly six-fi

• It takes about 9 months to film 11 episodes; with location shoots in Spain and South Africa, that's a lot of work and a long time for cast and crew to be away from their families. Then you have all the post-production, especially to make it look as "shiny" as it does.

It's only actually six months delay to where it would have been. Every 18 months is probably the new norm.

• There definitely has been some promising episodes.  Kerblaam was definitely a highlight.  Last nights, was okJoystickElectric plugElectric plugElectric plug. I hope New Years will be great. 

What I don’t like is the one year break.  If reports are to believed the producer et al can’t cope with the filming schedule.

My heart is bleeding..... 

• I enjoyed last night's episode. On the whole I have enjoyed the series, but some of the ealrier episodes were a bit too preachy and too little sci-fi.

• So it was the finale last night.  Which was ok.  Nice little speech at the end.  

New Years episode is in at New Years because there  is no series next year. Back in 2020.

So having just got used to Jodie now back, probably early 2020.

Rapidly becoming a case of Doctor Why Bother.

• I thought last night's was really good.

• By way of update, these later episodes have been very good.  Jodie’s Doctor is amazing. Heroic and intelligent. 

The writing has been superb, if a little scary. Watch and you will know what I mean. 

I would like 13 to stay a while.  Still too many companions.  Thought the same about Rory and Amy with Matt Smith’s.  Would have liked more familiar aliens at the beginning. But I’m glad it’s got its mojo.

Need a Christmas episode. 

• I think the problem might be that it’s trying to become a part educational series.  The problem is that, in general, DW has become an adventure series. 

Last week’s was a good episode of a little too dark for children. Especially for the time slot.

• I don't like Doctor Who, male or female. I always found the show confusing and to be honest the sounds like the tardis make my ears feel weird, due to sensory issues. I've never liked the series, I did check out the new Doctor though and managed five minutes. I can't watch the show because of all the weird sounds, it's so loud. Disney I'm ok with because the sounds can be gentle but an episode of Doctor Who is really uncomfortable for me.

• Good point I often get a bit fed up on New Year's Eve and feel quite depressed by New Year's Day - the Doctor Who special will be a good start to 2019. 

• Ok guys.  So the past two episodes have blown my socks off.  Great scripts and great acting.  Jodie’s acting has been perfect. 

It’s found it’s mojo.  A brilliant balance.  Please continue.

• Yeah I thought it seemed a little old style as well. I liked it Slight smile

• Im not too sure about this series either. I like Jodie as the doctor (though not as much as David tennant who'll always be my favourite) and some of the episodes have been good, i liked the spiders, pting and kerblam. I think theres a new writer or producer isnt there. It seems to have all got a bit too educational. The rosa and partition episodes were good dramas but not really dr who for me. 

I need some daleks or cybermen i think!

Actually if it wasnt quite so destructive i think id like a pting... probably harder to feed than a dog though? 

• I have only connected with her with the Kerblam episode.  I think it’s because it’s format was similiar to old style who.

• It might make New Year's Eve a bit more exciting, I always find that the countdown to the New Year is a bit rubbish as nothing happens next, at least now we'll have Doctor Who to look forward to.

• Yes, things have to change I suppose and it will be something to look forward to once Christmas is over. 

• No you're right, the Christmas special has now become a New Year's Day special which I think is a bit of a shame. It was a good tradition having it on Christmas Day, but I guess they feel new Doctor Who so new Christmas special date?

• I agree with what you say - I'm also looking forward to what comes next. I don't think there is a Christmas special this year, it's a New Year one instead. That is a bit of a shame I think (if I am right, I might be wrong!)