Birthday parties

Birthday parties seem to be repeatedly in the news.  Some autistic child is upset because either he/she is  not invited or school kids don't go to their party.

What are our experiences of birthday parties?

Well....  I've never had a birthday party in my honour!  I just don't see the point. As a child I received a few birthday cards and presents  from my immediate family and that's about it.

I've only attended a couple of small parties .  And that was the girl next door, called Zinta.   And I was under ten years old.

To me it's a mystery why people have these massive parties and everything that goes with it.  A   B l o o d y   mystery?

Parents
  • Interesting question Robert.

When I was a young child I had birthday parties organised by my mum. They followed a set formula - pass the parcel, farmer's in the den, hunt the thimble - then birthday tea, sing happy birthday and blow out candles on the cake. i did not like being the centre of attention. Going to parties at other children's houses often felt very uncomfortable. 

Got trickier when I was a teenager. No set formula. Luckily my birthday is in the xmas school holiday so I could escape without a party. Relatives organised an 18th birthday party for me - family and neighbours with some of my brother's friends. I celebrated my 21st birthday by having egg and chips in a bus station cafe (much more my thing!) 

If it was up to me I wouldn't have had a wedding reception either - too much smiling - my face really hurt by the end. I knew I was supposed to be going round talking to people (there were only 20 there) but I just wanted to sit and listen to the music. 

I've had some real problems at parties in adult life - I now recognise these were probably meltdowns. Too much stress and noise. Entertaining people is incredibly difficult for me  - I've had meltdowns cooking xmas lunch so I don't do that anymore. We have a picnic. 

Some people are energised when they are surrounded by other people - it's like recharging their battery to be in a noisy, crowded room. It's the opposite for me - I feel drained. I can't see the point of being with people when you can't even hear what they're saying. It's a cliche but you'll always find me in the kitchen at parties (if I can bring myself to go, which is unlikely!) 

• I've a similar experience to you Sunflower. I was fine with birthday parties as a child because they were structured and there was stuff to do. It didn't rely on having to make conversation. I don't particularly like being centre of attention either and cringe at people singing to me but as a child I loved blowing out the candles. My dad always made me a special birthday cake in the shape of something I liked so the cake was a big deal at my birthdays.

I don't have many memories of going to other people's birthday parties when I was little (apart from my brothers) but I'm sure that I did. My brothers were usually things like bowling and I was fine at that as again it had structure and involved doing something.

It was when I hit high school it started going wrong. I remember going to one person's birthday and we had done all the games, food etc and had been given time to play. Well I got awkward and didn't really know what to do. The person asked me if I was ok and I didn't know how to explain so I said I'm bored. Well that really upset the person so that didn't end well.

As I got older I was rarely invited to parties. I now know I wouldn't have coped with them anyway. I can't do parties that are full of people and loud music and expect you to dance, talk and be close to people.

Now I tend to avoid parties if possible. I can cope with a small gathering at someone's house. I've been to the odd 30th but generally don't stay very long or I spend the whole time sat there feeling really awkward.

• Forgot to say the cakes your dad made sound really wonderful! How lovely that they were in the shape of things you liked. Do you remember any favourite ones? 

Reply Children
No Data