Birthday parties

Birthday parties seem to be repeatedly in the news.  Some autistic child is upset because either he/she is  not invited or school kids don't go to their party.

What are our experiences of birthday parties?

Well....  I've never had a birthday party in my honour!  I just don't see the point. As a child I received a few birthday cards and presents  from my immediate family and that's about it.

I've only attended a couple of small parties .  And that was the girl next door, called Zinta.   And I was under ten years old.

To me it's a mystery why people have these massive parties and everything that goes with it.  A   B l o o d y   mystery?

Parents
  • Interesting question Robert.

When I was a young child I had birthday parties organised by my mum. They followed a set formula - pass the parcel, farmer's in the den, hunt the thimble - then birthday tea, sing happy birthday and blow out candles on the cake. i did not like being the centre of attention. Going to parties at other children's houses often felt very uncomfortable. 

Got trickier when I was a teenager. No set formula. Luckily my birthday is in the xmas school holiday so I could escape without a party. Relatives organised an 18th birthday party for me - family and neighbours with some of my brother's friends. I celebrated my 21st birthday by having egg and chips in a bus station cafe (much more my thing!) 

If it was up to me I wouldn't have had a wedding reception either - too much smiling - my face really hurt by the end. I knew I was supposed to be going round talking to people (there were only 20 there) but I just wanted to sit and listen to the music. 

I've had some real problems at parties in adult life - I now recognise these were probably meltdowns. Too much stress and noise. Entertaining people is incredibly difficult for me  - I've had meltdowns cooking xmas lunch so I don't do that anymore. We have a picnic. 

Some people are energised when they are surrounded by other people - it's like recharging their battery to be in a noisy, crowded room. It's the opposite for me - I feel drained. I can't see the point of being with people when you can't even hear what they're saying. It's a cliche but you'll always find me in the kitchen at parties (if I can bring myself to go, which is unlikely!) 

• I've a similar experience to you Sunflower. I was fine with birthday parties as a child because they were structured and there was stuff to do. It didn't rely on having to make conversation. I don't particularly like being centre of attention either and cringe at people singing to me but as a child I loved blowing out the candles. My dad always made me a special birthday cake in the shape of something I liked so the cake was a big deal at my birthdays.

I don't have many memories of going to other people's birthday parties when I was little (apart from my brothers) but I'm sure that I did. My brothers were usually things like bowling and I was fine at that as again it had structure and involved doing something.

It was when I hit high school it started going wrong. I remember going to one person's birthday and we had done all the games, food etc and had been given time to play. Well I got awkward and didn't really know what to do. The person asked me if I was ok and I didn't know how to explain so I said I'm bored. Well that really upset the person so that didn't end well.

As I got older I was rarely invited to parties. I now know I wouldn't have coped with them anyway. I can't do parties that are full of people and loud music and expect you to dance, talk and be close to people.

Now I tend to avoid parties if possible. I can cope with a small gathering at someone's house. I've been to the odd 30th but generally don't stay very long or I spend the whole time sat there feeling really awkward.

• Forgot to say the cakes your dad made sound really wonderful! How lovely that they were in the shape of things you liked. Do you remember any favourite ones? 

• It was usually what ever I liked at the time so things like Noddy's car and Postman Pat's van. One year was a castle.

Reply Children