A sense of entitlement

Why do so many people have a sense of entitlement?

I was discussing this with a friend at the weekend and we couldn't really get to the bottom of it, other than perhaps it's just been a slow erosion of society and work ethic.

They don't work, but are entitled to (net) taxpayers money, so they can have things that taxpayers can't afford, to live in areas that those taxpayers can't afford, to have holidays, to not work a job they don't want to, to be entitled to an easy and well paid job. That they have "rights" that must be treated as gospel, but not any responsibilities that are tied to those rights. That rules are just for "someone else", a whole attitude that everyone else owes them a living etc. 

What is the flawed mental process where people decide that they are entitled to things just because they want them? How can anyone even attempt to justify that "want" means "entitled"?

Parents
  • You'll be pleased to hear that I'm going to leave these forums.  I shouldn't have got involved with this thread as this is stuff that really gets me going, and brings out my demons.  I make no apologies for being outspoken, though I'm sorry for the language used and for getting too personal.  I don't find these forums as helpful as I'd thought I would and I don't want to upset others any more.  I need to find some peace after some recent problems so it's probably best if I stay offline. I've been drinking heavily for a few months and stuff like this makes it get more out of hand.

• You'll be pleased to hear that I'm going to leave these forums.  I shouldn't have got involved with this thread as this is stuff that really gets me going, and brings out my demons.  I make no apologies for being outspoken, though I'm sorry for the language used and for getting too personal.  I don't find these forums as helpful as I'd thought I would and I don't want to upset others any more.  I need to find some peace after some recent problems so it's probably best if I stay offline. I've been drinking heavily for a few months and stuff like this makes it get more out of hand.

Children

• You'll be pleased to hear that I'm going to leave these forums.  I shouldn't have got involved with this thread as this is stuff that really gets me going, and brings out my demons. 

Obviously (or maybe actually not yet) I am not pleased to read you are leaving, not at all. And dealing with the demons thing is an important aspect of many people's experience ~ which I respect given my experience of so doing.

I make no apologies for being outspoken, though I'm sorry for the language used and for getting too personal. 

You need make no apology for being outspoken, that much is certain, and your apology for the language you used is accepted completely as far as I am concerned, for you show both honour and integrity in so doing, and that is respectable.

I don't find these forums as helpful as I'd thought I would and I don't want to upset others any more.

Perhaps consider that when social clangers occur, they are addressed and apologised for here, and that is that. Quite a few of us are complete and utter experts at pulling of the old proverbial social plain, train and car wrecks all in one spot. In relative terms you might need to get a few dents out of the bodywork, but definitely not a write off session.

I need to find some peace after some recent problems so it's probably best if I stay offline. I've been drinking heavily for a few months and stuff like this makes it get more out of hand.

Finding some peace off line is perfectly understandable, and respectable, given the nature of learning curves and all that. Perhaps though consider making your time offline 'some' time, in the temporary sense, rather than anything permanent, maybe?

I do though respect and support your decision either way, especially if you decide to stay over the longer term. :-)

Have (at least eventually) a good one ~ full of many many more

DT

• Sorry to hear that, when I have only just joined. Two gone now. I was the one who originally confronted the OP, but I could not leave those remarks unchallenged. I had not really wanted him to leave either, but I do believe that attitude, stoked by Cameron, creates so much suffering.

1. I have never been formally diagnosed as an adult but I have been delighted to share ideas and experiences with intelligent adults around  my age who have dealt with sitar challenges and anyway when it comes to discussing films etc, it's a question of never mind the autism anyway. I just like finding people on a similar wavelength.
  • Spending too much time on these forums with a small number of people is bad.  It can make one lose touch with reality and the outside world.

Take a break.