A sense of entitlement

Why do so many people have a sense of entitlement?

I was discussing this with a friend at the weekend and we couldn't really get to the bottom of it, other than perhaps it's just been a slow erosion of society and work ethic.

They don't work, but are entitled to (net) taxpayers money, so they can have things that taxpayers can't afford, to live in areas that those taxpayers can't afford, to have holidays, to not work a job they don't want to, to be entitled to an easy and well paid job. That they have "rights" that must be treated as gospel, but not any responsibilities that are tied to those rights. That rules are just for "someone else", a whole attitude that everyone else owes them a living etc. 

What is the flawed mental process where people decide that they are entitled to things just because they want them? How can anyone even attempt to justify that "want" means "entitled"?

Parents
  • You'll be pleased to hear that I'm going to leave these forums.  I shouldn't have got involved with this thread as this is stuff that really gets me going, and brings out my demons.  I make no apologies for being outspoken, though I'm sorry for the language used and for getting too personal.  I don't find these forums as helpful as I'd thought I would and I don't want to upset others any more.  I need to find some peace after some recent problems so it's probably best if I stay offline. I've been drinking heavily for a few months and stuff like this makes it get more out of hand.

• Spending too much time on these forums with a small number of people is bad.  It can make one lose touch with reality and the outside world.

Take a break.

Reply Children
No Data