This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

This forum

This forum will never be a welcoming place for all until it is properly moderated.

I come back here because I want to make friends and feel supported.  But everytime you return here there are extreme individuals stoking discord and disharmony.

It would be nice if the National Autistic Society would recognise the problem one day.

Parents
  • everytime you return here there are extreme individuals stoking discord and disharmony.

This is a really tricky one to address in this day and age.

On one hand you have people with a strong view on a subject who want their view to be heard and respected but you can have another group who hold an opposite view with the same rights. Who gets to be heard?

I'm not talking about insults here, but opinions on whatever subjects, whether around drug use (legal or otherwise), dealing with conflict, the tactics of the police force, whether to mask or not, gender identity, approaches in therapy, discipline of children or whatever.

If a fair and open society we should be able to share our opinions, risk being asked to explain or justify them and talk through all manner of subjects that are important to us.

As autists we often can connect with the base emotions of anger and fear which tend to make us poor in arguements but it is worth learning to master these so you can hear others opinions and not be triggered by them.

To want to cancel others because their opinions are not "nice" or not aligned with yours is an approach that appeals to some but is a form of bullying itself.

I would advocate for tolerance, understanding and openmindedness as this has proven to me to be the most effective way to really hear others. Sometimes there is something to be learned even if you didn't initially agree with them.

• My friend. This is not a politics forum.  I come here because of the isolating nature of my Autism and***.  That's not going to make me feel any better is it? And what about minorities who have to read that ***?

I recognise you have some opinions on gender issues and wish to voice them.  Why are you making this the venue to voice those opinions instead of countless other internet sites you could use?

[edited by moderators]

• you must be very isolated as you dont know what fascism is.

to highlight a bit, you want to shut people down, you want people banned, you want people silenced and you denied any possible chance of unity or friendship outright and said its impossible and are not open to it... i... dont think you have the right to call others fascist regarding what you want of others. plus its very offensive and rude to call someone that and is against rule 4 of the forum rules which i may remind you of.

by the way fascism was a italian political party with a desire to restore italian glory, to restore rome. it later got used as a term to mean authoritarian... of which the only entity wanting to restore rome would be the EU anyway so lets not got there...

• The floor is yours and yet you'll still claim you are being silenced.

Absolutely!

See this interaction for a prime example:

https://community.autism.org.uk/f/miscellaneous-and-chat/38092/constitutional-reforms

Reply Children
No Data