Anxious State

For several days I have been experiencing increased anxiety and am wondering whether it is permanent or temporary. I hope I have written enough to catalyze a discussion on the aforementioned topic. If I have not, I am sorry, but I struggle to convert my thoughts to words accurately.

• Thank you for sharing this! Please do not ever feel like a broken record. Your words no matter how often spoken are valid and valued. Peace to you. I shall take a look at your suggestions as I am now at a stage of desperation. I cannot live in a permanent state of anxiety. 

• I realise I might be starting to sound like a broken record on here (Joy) but I’ve struggled with severe anxiety for decades and tried SO many things (including anti-depressants which were disastrous for me and made me suicidal) - I’ve tried all the various natural remedies - so many things with not much success. But this year I’ve been learning all about Zen Buddhism through Thich Nhat Hanh’s teachings and it’s been massively helpful for me. It’s taken a few months of reading, listening to audiobooks and watching the ‘Plum Village’ YouTube channel - but over time I find it’s having such a stabilising influence on me. It’s changed my perspective on so many things, and slowly over time my anxiety is reducing. It’s taking time and involves some commitment - but I feel I’ve FINALLY found something that actually works. It’s given me so much hope that I can genuinely enjoy life again, and not be permanently anxious all the time. 
    Of course I realise that everyone is different - and I’d never assume it will do the same for anyone else. But I want to share my experience on here because it might be helpful to someone. Living with anxiety can be so dreadful (many times I’ve felt I couldn’t go on because I was so totally depressed and exhausted with trying to cope with anxiety over decades) and to have found something that actually helps has been such an enormous relief to me. So if anyone feels they’ve tried everything and nothing has worked - then I’d recommend the teachings Thich Nhat Hanh. It certainly can’t do any harm - no side effects! 

• Anxiety is a huge issue for me, as well.

However, I learned to manage it; in order to maintain some degree of function.

• I am so sorry to hear this I suffer from Anxiety it is like a wave for me .I have found medication has helped with this and trying to reduce triggers that makes it worse.

• Thank you Captain Grover. I hope it will be too! I am eager for a rest from this overwhelming anxiety. I love life and want to live it, but anxiety is holding me back. I understand my anxiety is my inner child screaming for a place that  is safe and for someone to hold his hand and tell him everything will be okay.

• It would be impossible for anyone to give you certainties but, in my experience, anxiety comes and goes in waves or it simply becomes a low hum in the background for most of the time. Hopefully this will be your experience, too. 

• My anxiety usually peaks for a few hours and then troughs for several hours/days. I am worn out now and am slowly reaching out for the white flag. Thank you Tree Spirit.

• I can't comment on whether your particular anxiety is permanent or temporary but my own tends to peak and trough.  I'd say it's permanent in the sense that it's ongoing but manageable in the sense that the level of anxiety I experience varies. I hope that explanation is clear and help a bit.  Sending healing vibes to you.