Shopping Addiction

Has anyone here been able to overcome a shopping addiction and if so how please?

• Thank you. Diversion to something else that gives the same buzz seems good advice. It might not even need to be an addiction as such. 

• I see the website yoy are recommending is pushing poeple towards paying for rehab.  Was it your intention to promote commercial organisations?  

No  - I saw it was a .ORG site which is supposed to be for non-profit organisations. My apologies for not researching it fully.

I have replaced the link to another .ORG.UK site that looks to be legitimate.

I'm frankly surprised at how many links to what should be charities are commercial organisations in disguise, pushing rehab (you need to pay of course) as the solution.

• I see the website yoy are recommending is pushing poeple towards paying for rehab.  Was it your intention to promote commercial organisations?  

• I love to shop all the time plus at flea markets and thrift stores when I am shopping I look for Breyer horses and Kansas city chiefs stuff too also closes

• If you think you have an addiction then the most effective way to manage it is with a support group and sponsor.

Addiction are incredibly hard to get on top of and it takes support to do this - we tend to be too weak to overcome that inner drive.

I've worked with groups who help addicts and the process to get it under control can be challenging and certainly not one that can be packaged into a few paragraphs on a discussion forum.

I would suggest starting with the following charity link and get speaking to others who share your addiction and are actively managing it. There is a wealth of experience to draw on there and often more seasoned recovering addicts who can be your sponsor to teach you the ropes and help you pick up the pieces when you stumble.

https://www.counselling-directory.org.uk/memberarticles/how-to-recognise-and-recover-from-shopping-addiction

You have taken the most difficult step of reaching out now keep the momentum going.

If this is for you, good luck. It was a brave thing you did.

• It took me a while to realise that I am addicted to everything.  Juniper speaks wisely....divert that glorious energy that we seem to "run" by, and thrust it in a different and better direction.

My challenge is often with my stop / start mechanism......with almost anything.  Its tricky.

• ADHD? There's usually a link.

Some suggest it's best to exchange it for an addiction which isn't as harmful. Shopping is tricky - the definition of need vs want is blurry. Our society reinforces and rewards spending. You could try a video game which involves shopping without actually spending? But agree with Fiona, first it might be important to understand how you feel rewarded.

• There's addictive personality in my family, it has caused problems.

I found the only thing that helped me were:

1) set a budget and stick to it. I am very rules-based so once I set my budget for the week I stick to it mostly. If not in an amount in ££ then an amount in goods - e.g. food shop plus one book, no clothes, one takeaway/meal out.

2) close all accounts and credit cards, store cards, debit cards apart from one current account with debit card, and one credit card. Check statements every month to see where you are spending, particularly where you go over budget. If you have 'surplus' money each month consider saving it for the future, but don't leave it in your current account - out of sight, out of mind. Try to use 'chip and pin' rather than just 'tap' to remind yourself you are spending money.

3) be more choosy about what you buy - if you like buying lots of clothes, try saving up and buying one thing better quality instead. If you make over your living room every year, consider only making over one part of the room - the wallpaper, paint, sofa, flooring, TV or units - rather than doing the whole thing.

You also need to think about what it is about shopping that is addictive. Is it spending money? Spending money on other people? Meeting friends to go to the shops? Taking a break to have a coffee? Taking a bag home with something in it? Receiving parcels in the mail? Going to the shops to try things on? And do these things have safer alternatives?

I always remind myself I can like many things in the shops, but I don't have to buy all of the things I like. I just buy my favourites. And since I am at maximum capacity for books and clothes I have a 'one in one out' policy.