Shopping Addiction

Has anyone here been able to overcome a shopping addiction and if so how please?

Parents
  • There's addictive personality in my family, it has caused problems.

I found the only thing that helped me were:

1) set a budget and stick to it. I am very rules-based so once I set my budget for the week I stick to it mostly. If not in an amount in ££ then an amount in goods - e.g. food shop plus one book, no clothes, one takeaway/meal out.

2) close all accounts and credit cards, store cards, debit cards apart from one current account with debit card, and one credit card. Check statements every month to see where you are spending, particularly where you go over budget. If you have 'surplus' money each month consider saving it for the future, but don't leave it in your current account - out of sight, out of mind. Try to use 'chip and pin' rather than just 'tap' to remind yourself you are spending money.

3) be more choosy about what you buy - if you like buying lots of clothes, try saving up and buying one thing better quality instead. If you make over your living room every year, consider only making over one part of the room - the wallpaper, paint, sofa, flooring, TV or units - rather than doing the whole thing.

You also need to think about what it is about shopping that is addictive. Is it spending money? Spending money on other people? Meeting friends to go to the shops? Taking a break to have a coffee? Taking a bag home with something in it? Receiving parcels in the mail? Going to the shops to try things on? And do these things have safer alternatives?

I always remind myself I can like many things in the shops, but I don't have to buy all of the things I like. I just buy my favourites. And since I am at maximum capacity for books and clothes I have a 'one in one out' policy.

• There's addictive personality in my family, it has caused problems.

I found the only thing that helped me were:

1) set a budget and stick to it. I am very rules-based so once I set my budget for the week I stick to it mostly. If not in an amount in ££ then an amount in goods - e.g. food shop plus one book, no clothes, one takeaway/meal out.

2) close all accounts and credit cards, store cards, debit cards apart from one current account with debit card, and one credit card. Check statements every month to see where you are spending, particularly where you go over budget. If you have 'surplus' money each month consider saving it for the future, but don't leave it in your current account - out of sight, out of mind. Try to use 'chip and pin' rather than just 'tap' to remind yourself you are spending money.

3) be more choosy about what you buy - if you like buying lots of clothes, try saving up and buying one thing better quality instead. If you make over your living room every year, consider only making over one part of the room - the wallpaper, paint, sofa, flooring, TV or units - rather than doing the whole thing.

You also need to think about what it is about shopping that is addictive. Is it spending money? Spending money on other people? Meeting friends to go to the shops? Taking a break to have a coffee? Taking a bag home with something in it? Receiving parcels in the mail? Going to the shops to try things on? And do these things have safer alternatives?

I always remind myself I can like many things in the shops, but I don't have to buy all of the things I like. I just buy my favourites. And since I am at maximum capacity for books and clothes I have a 'one in one out' policy.

Children
No Data