Your experience with alexithymia

What is your understanding of Alexithymia?

I know it's probably difficult for people with Alexithymia to explain and know things like this.

I've suspected I might have it. I've always had 'mild' emotions, I'm not sure if I like something at times, I'm not sure if I'm sensitive to sounds, textures, etc. and I don't know how being sensitive actually feels; Is it what I'm experiencing or is it something else?

And most of the times, I only understand my thoughts and feelings after journaling or showering, I always thought I was great with my emotions but recently realized it's just cause I practice it a lot and know a lot of helpful tools, but in actuality I need so much time and effort to understand thoughts and they rarely come instantaneously.

I don't know, even now I'm questioning if what I've written are my true thoughts and feelings or I just think they are. 

Parents
  • I hadn’t heard of it until about a year and a half ago when I received CBT therapy. One of the first tasks I was given was to record my mood throughout the day -  scores for Achievement, Connection and Enjoyment plus the primary emotion I was feeling every half an hour through the day.

It quickly became apparent I couldn’t describe what emotion I was feeling, so I was given an emotion wheel diagram with a few dozen different emotions listed to prompt me.

But I could only really say if I was angry, sad, anxious or not angry sad or anxious.

All the “emotions” on the diagram seem more like intellectual concepts to me rather than something would “feel”.

• every half an hour through the day.

Wow that would annoy me having to do that! Constant interruptions of whatever else I might have been doing, or I would just forget to do it much of the time. And many of those emotions would thus be "annoyance at having to do this"! Right now I am not sure I could identify my primary emotion and I suspect that would be the case for most of the time.

As for the original question, I don't find it easy to answer. I don't have mild emotions, but much of the time I think I might be feeling neutral, and I often find it hard to identify more than positive or negative. My husband accuses me of being in a bad mood, but i think I just react to things, so if something annoys me then i will express annoyance regardless of any underlying emotional state. It is possible that I might be feeling negative but not consciously aware of it all the time. Sadly that is more common than positive, especially at the moment as I am being dragged around by PIP and suffering with the menopause.

• every half an hour through the day.

Wow that would annoy me having to do that! Constant interruptions of whatever else I might have been doing, or I would just forget to do it much of the time. And many of those emotions would thus be "annoyance at having to do this"! Right now I am not sure I could identify my primary emotion and I suspect that would be the case for most of the time.

As for the original question, I don't find it easy to answer. I don't have mild emotions, but much of the time I think I might be feeling neutral, and I often find it hard to identify more than positive or negative. My husband accuses me of being in a bad mood, but i think I just react to things, so if something annoys me then i will express annoyance regardless of any underlying emotional state. It is possible that I might be feeling negative but not consciously aware of it all the time. Sadly that is more common than positive, especially at the moment as I am being dragged around by PIP and suffering with the menopause.

Children