Hello, I'm new

just wanted to say Hi as I registered myself here today. 
Not sure how to start here, but I guess I'll find a lot to read here and possible some advice for me as an adult on the spectrum.

Parents
  • Hello,

I am also new, I am in my 30s, a male! I have read a lot about Asperger's syndrome and I think I have it.

I'm struggling to explain what's going on in my head in words when talking. It is easier for me to do in writing.

I'm avoiding phone calls as much as I can. It is so upsetting that most of companies want to contact them by phone but it is so difficult for me. It is much easier for me to use e-mails, SMS, letters.

I would be interested to find a friend who has similar difficulties.

• Hi California.

I am 33 and was diagnosed ASD (Aspergers) this year. Have you looked into approaching a diagnosis? My manager at work encouraged me to do an AQ test, after which I went and spoke to my GP

http://aspergerstest.net/aq-test/

The whole process from start to finish is explained very well on the NAS website:

http://www.autism.org.uk/about/diagnosis/adults.aspx

I find writing easier than talking! If you have any questions the forum is a great place to ask them! There are many people here covering many walks of life!

Its nice to meet you!

• Hello,

Thank you for the reply!

I was doing the online tests for Aspergers and they all say that it is very likely that I have it.

I spoke to my GP and I am now in process. I am waiting for the assessment/test. Not sure what to expect!

My employer kindly provided me with noise cancelling headphones at work but I am struggling a lot on buses when travelling to and from work. Especially, when children are travelling. They shout and make a lot of noises.

Its nice to meet you!

• I suppose one could use standard over the head-head phones, as a noise cancellation device? I have taken to wearing them when on my MTB, but I am listening to educational talks in the back ground, it is fun, and looks 'Funky' too.

• Don't be suprised if it takes a long time till diagnosis. It took me just under 2 years from start to finish. I take headphones on the bus, though I have 3 children, so I cannot escape them all the time. I have a stress ball in the house which gets crushed a lot, and helps keep me from snapping and shouting at my children. Anger is something I am working on with my GP / ASD team.

Nice to meet you too

• Don't be suprised if it takes a long time till diagnosis. It took me just under 2 years from start to finish. I take headphones on the bus, though I have 3 children, so I cannot escape them all the time. I have a stress ball in the house which gets crushed a lot, and helps keep me from snapping and shouting at my children. Anger is something I am working on with my GP / ASD team.

Nice to meet you too

Children
No Data