Well Hello...

Um, hi. Since I've very recently been diagnosed, I thought I'd turn to a place like this to see if I can start trying to make sense of what it all means...

By which I mean, I'm fine... I'm OK... And it's true that having this label now I'm 27 doesn't change who I am, or who I have been up to this point, but... I dunno... Now my struggles have been validated, and I feel the relief of an explanation, I'm keen to try and understand how it can change things going forward. Y'know?

Anyway, I've rambled, sorry. And I'm also sorry for my choice of username, in case it offends anyone. I'm fascinated by the whole idea of "normal" and how fluid the concept really is. Describing myself as "normalish" is just my own way of poking fun at it. There is no such thing as normal, but I do find it helps others understand things when you put it into their language, so...

I think I'll shut up now, and have a look around - thankyou!

P.S Can you tell I like ellipses...?  

• Hi guys - thanks for your replies! Stonechat: Thankyou for your wise words on self-knowledge. I sincerely hope to learn more about it and myself, but I worry it will equally become a burden. Already I find myself hyper-aware of the label, and the pressure of knowing about it has somehow exacerbated some traits I'd previously have coped with better (social anxiety etc.) It's a very surreal position I find myself in, at the moment! Sgt Romeo: Hi! What an interesting tale you have to tell, wow! You've obviously done incredibly well to have made the career you have, in spite of the difficulties you experience, probably as a result of a condition like this! It's pretty reassuring to hear you can still make it, and people are understanding of it. Work is an interesting one... There are very few ways I feel they could make any adjustments for me, as it is, in many ways, simply an ill-suiting job! It's a relief, now, though, to have a reason for why I hate it so intensely and why I often feel it wears me out but that I can never explain that to others! I think I'm considering my options of employment at the minute, and mostly intend to make future employers aware of my condition, definitely! Good luck with your diagnosis, and I'll more than likely take you up on that offer of chatting! And last but not least, soldersplash: Hi...! You're so right! Ellipses ARE underrated! They deserve more... Um... More... Respect! More respect in our society! :D Thanks again guys, and I hope you're well! :D
  • Hi Normalish,

I think ellipses are ...

Underated ;)

Kind regards,

Soldersplash

• Hi Normalish,

Being of a similar age to you (I'm 26) and currently waiting for a diagnosis, I wanted to say you are not the only one thinking that a diagnosis doesn't change who you are.

I have until recently struggled through life.  But a series of mishaps at work forced me to try and find an answer as to why I struggled so much with certain aspects of my job (police officer) than others.  And while I'll always be the same person, having a diagnosis has made me realise there are some things I just won't 'get' like NT people.

Having a diagnosis (or suspected) means an employer has to make reasonable adjustments under the Disability Discrimination Act.  Mine have, and have moved me to a desk job until I have my diagnosis.

What I have noticed however is the number of people who tolerated me when I was 'normal' but who have now turned round and just accepted I have AS.  Or gone 'actually, yeah, now you mention it you're like my cousin who has it' And suddenly they've treated me a lot better.

If you want to chat, feel free.

Jess

• Hello Normalish, 

You are right... "normal" is a very fluid concept. In fact everyone, Aspie or Neurotypical, could be described as Normalish i.e. there is no such thing as a standard, all-encompassing 'normal'.  

A great thing about a diagnosis is the knowing... the confirming of a cause as to why all that stuff went wrong up until now. You'll now be able to learn more about yourself and put the pre-diagnosis years into perspective. 

Good Luck and welcome