Struggling to live normal life with autism

Lately I’ve been feeling extremely down about my life,I don’t do much I just stay at home everyday and I wanted to make a change to better myself. I knew I probably wasn’t gonna manage it but I forced myself because it feels so sad not being able to do the things other people my age can do, I want to work I want to have friends but I can’t hold anything for long and I’m struggling to cope with entering adult hood with my autism. I feel so useless and like I can’t do anything so I back out of these job offers and opportunities because I end up having meltdowns and shutdown I’m really lost on what to do I can’t continue like this but I don’t know how to get the right support to help me live a normal life.

Parents
  • grocery bagger

LOL.  Way to sell your fellow Autist down the river.

Honestly you can do better than that.  Any job an NT does, you can do better.  We are wired that way.  But saying that we also have a ton of baggage.

@OP, you are young, go out and enjoy your life.  When you get to 50, then you can worry.  But until then, get drunk, find a woman (and yes finding a woman while sober as a person with ASD is hard), get married (or don't), have kids.  You know do the usual stuff.  Get a job and yes you can get a job.  If a reprobate like me can get a job, you can too.  In what is your choice.  What did you want to be at school?

• LOL.  Way to sell your fellow Autist down the river.

I started out stacking shelves in a supermarket when I was 15 and by 17 was working in a warehouse unloading roll pallets from trucks all day.

This is simple work but it doesn't make it demeaning. For some it may just be stress free enough to be what will work for them, hence its inclusion on the list.

When you get to 50, then you can worry.  But until then, get drunk, find a woman (and yes finding a woman while sober as a person with ASD is hard), get married (or don't), have kids.

Wait, you missed a stereotype or two - how about get a house and dog...?

How about suggesting they find a way to learn how to understand themselves and live a life that has meaning for them without the need to abuse alcohol, conform to hertrosexual tropes (you assume they are male) and the institutional ties of marriage and children, most of which bring challanges for autists.

Life has so many other possibilities in this day and age.

Any job an NT does, you can do better.

I can't agree with this. A lot of jobs would be very unsuitable for a person with poor social skills for example. Think of sales, event managers, host/hostess in a club, diplomat and people manager.

For those with low thresholds to anxiety would suffer terribly from jobs as a London cabbie, market trader in a competitive market or a negotiations closer in sales.

Loads of other autistic traits bring their own challenges so it is down to the OP to consider possible jobs and which ones align with their needs and interests rather being told they can be great in any job - your way leads to meltdown and loss of self esteem in most cases.

• LOL.  Way to sell your fellow Autist down the river.

I started out stacking shelves in a supermarket when I was 15 and by 17 was working in a warehouse unloading roll pallets from trucks all day.

This is simple work but it doesn't make it demeaning. For some it may just be stress free enough to be what will work for them, hence its inclusion on the list.

When you get to 50, then you can worry.  But until then, get drunk, find a woman (and yes finding a woman while sober as a person with ASD is hard), get married (or don't), have kids.

Wait, you missed a stereotype or two - how about get a house and dog...?

How about suggesting they find a way to learn how to understand themselves and live a life that has meaning for them without the need to abuse alcohol, conform to hertrosexual tropes (you assume they are male) and the institutional ties of marriage and children, most of which bring challanges for autists.

Life has so many other possibilities in this day and age.

Any job an NT does, you can do better.

I can't agree with this. A lot of jobs would be very unsuitable for a person with poor social skills for example. Think of sales, event managers, host/hostess in a club, diplomat and people manager.

For those with low thresholds to anxiety would suffer terribly from jobs as a London cabbie, market trader in a competitive market or a negotiations closer in sales.

Loads of other autistic traits bring their own challenges so it is down to the OP to consider possible jobs and which ones align with their needs and interests rather being told they can be great in any job - your way leads to meltdown and loss of self esteem in most cases.

Children
No Data