Like-minded

Looking for like-minded people.

My interests are history and grand strategy gaming. I also like to collect coins! :DDD

But here in my country there is pretty much almost no one who falls into this category. I hope that going to college and studying history will find me some but if they couldn't care less then my country is doomed.

I'm 19 years old and Internet is where I would be better off...

• I collect merely standard currencies from different periods and different nations. I also too like the vexillology. I did some cool flag edits of my own.

• For gaming, I do Paradox games like Hearts of Iron IV, Victoria II, Europa Universalis III and IV games.

• I like history too. I'm mostly interested in vexillology, heraldry, and etymology. I'm also interested in military history. Do you collect Challenge Coins too, or just standard currency?

• My interests are history and grand strategy gaming.

I recently watched two old BBC documentary series of "The World at War" about World War 2 and "The Great War" about WW1 - and the one thing that still amazes me is that politicians have changed so little other than the sources of their corruption.

Both series are something like 20 hours long so not for the easily distracted but the course of the wars were convoluted and quite amazing to see in retrospect. I realise there is a big factor of "history being written by the victor" but a lot of credit is given to all sides for their achievments and bravery where milions were killed for the sake of the dictates of polticians or incompetent army leaders.

What sort of strategy gaming platforms do you use?

• Interesting. For me, the 19th century was a period of revolutionary social and economic change. As the industrial revolution swept Europe, economies that were industrialized were booming. It made West more powerful with cool 19th century tech and so, they were able to easily defeat Russia in the 1850s Crimean War which ultimately exposed the weakness of Russia and the Ottomans who were backwards. Russia was overly quantitative with the army and the only thing they can do is just ram another one of those Russo-Turkish Wars which they have done so in 1877 to 1878.

Meanwhile the 1848-49 were met with revolutions by nationalists and liberals demanding greater rights. Britain was very cunning and lucky as the British aristocrats were aware of the French Revolution and had to cater to some demands of the people, especially when the Chartists were a trend at the time. 20th century, Austrian man gets shot by a Serbian nationalist in Sarajevo and the rest is known to many. WW1 starts, communism arrives in Europe and Russia, angry Austrian painter rises in Germany, does the no-no thing of killing Jews, self-deletes himself in 1945, Japan gets nuked, America vs communism thingy Cold War from 1945 to 1991.

21st century is the contemporary part of it. Nearly a quarter century (25 years) have passed. 2000s, were when I was born (born in 2005). 9/11 and America invades Arab nations over time (first Afghanistan in 2001 then Iraq in 2003 then Libya in 2011) while Russia becomes increasingly hostile to other Slavs like Serbia and goes on Ukraine with a proxy war in 2014 then a full-scale invasion in 2022 with them attempting to Blitzkrieg but failing to get Kyiv and resorting to the 21st century Verdun by 2023 and present. AI technology improves and we see regulations against AI done by none other than the EU in a first summit in history in 2023.

• I'm not really into nations, more like periods, like the neolithic and bronze ages with all the henge building and massive earth monuments. The burial sites where all the bones have been deliberately sorted and moved around, leg bones in one section, arms in another, it was obviously really important to them, but why, what were they doing? Another period I find facinating is the immediate post Roman one, we know that lots of peoples were on the move and settled in areas that are often named after them like the Franks and France, but how did it effect ordinary people? Was there population replacement or a change of those at the top? I personally think that for many it would of been a change at the top and you'd just be giving your labour or tribute/taxes to someone different. Also the Church in this period interests me as it was when so much was decided, like which books went into the bible, the status and position of women, monasteries and cannon law, which from what I can see is a continuation of Roman civil law. 

• Yeah. Old News seems perfect to describe period from 19th to 21st century lol. Anyways, what is your favorite historical nation?

• I don't collect coins, I have an invisable hole in my pocket they fall out of, lol. 19th to 21stC history makes my eyes glaze over, most of it feels more like old news than history.

• Those sound cool, though I'm more of a 19th century to 21st century fan. Anyways, do you collect coins?

• What periods of history are you intereste in? I'm into ancient and medieval history myself, but almost no one else is.