Hello

Hello.

I've got an official diagnosis of autism. I'm not sure how I feel about it. The diagnosis didn't bring many answers or comfort, it's been a whirlwind and things aren't getting any easier.

One of my hobbies is singing. I like music. It makes me feel emotions, something I can't experience without music I've noticed. This is to do with my autism so my assessment report said.

Lately I've been feeling down. I find life with autism incredibly complex, it's hard and I worry about the future but I'm hoping joining an autistic community will help me deal with my problems and feel less alone.

Parents Reply Children
  • Yeah, so many things have fallen through because I was desperate and tried too hard. But I didn't know any better.

I wanted to visit places with friends but I put too much pressure on them. Unsurprisingly it didn't play out well.

• I say slow and steady wins the race. Do what's right for you and in your own time, that way there's a lot less pressure.

Over planning and over thinking is a recipe for disaster.

A bit like you I've learned this the hard way, a number of times lol.

• Yeah I think the key is not putting all the pressure on yourself to organise things. I was trying too hard and then it fell apart.

Nothing wrong with planning, but it's important to do things in a way they feel right to you.

• I hope the next one will be less stress for you. I've found planning is key for nearly everything I do.

During my assessment last year I was told that liking to plan things in advance is a part of autism for a lot of people.

• I didn't plan it very well, hence I ended up trying to get out of Wembley Stadium on my own... (and yes that was my first gig)