Hi

Just wanted to say hi. I was recently diagnosed ASD at age 54. I can really identify with what I have been reading on here. I have survived 54 years, just about, without a diagnosis or any assistance. I am feeling relieved to have the diagnosis but at the same time very overwhelmed. It seems to be taking over my life. I want to be able to accept my differences and not be held back by them or obsessed by them. I seem to have been given hundreds of different websites etc to look at, but having discovered this community today I can honestly say it's been the most helpful place. Just to know that there are so many other adults out there feeling the same as me and having the same life experiences. I feel so much better for this. I have come to accept being alone, but it's nice to be able to connect in some way with other people who understand. I am hoping that in time my diagnosis will give me the understanding of my life and the positivity that I hoped for. I'm grateful that so many people have shared their experiences here.

• Hi

Thank you for your reply and all your advice. I am definitely keen to read autistic led information. I am struggling with people who have 'studied' autistic people telling me how to feel, etc. I am going to try to stop myself reading and watching things endlessly though. I have woken up feeling much more positive today due to the responses I have had on here. It was a massive thing for me to register and reach out. I'm very grateful that I did though.

Thank you.

• Hi

Thank you for your reply. It's so sad that so many of us have struggled so badly all our lives without knowing why. I am frequently depressed, anxious, stressed and just plain totally exhausted. No wonder life is difficult for us. 

It took me 5 years to get assessed. Apparently I was sent a questionnaire but as I didn't respond they removed me from the waiting list. I just find this unbelievable. I didn't actually receive it but there must be so many autistic adults who just wouldn't cope with a questionnaire like they send out. I still can't get my head round the fact that they didn't follow up at all. I presume they're just happy to have one less on the waiting list.

I really hope you get your assessment quickly.

• Hi and welcome to the community. It's good to hear you've already found being here helpful.

It does seem to be an autistic tendency to want to research everything post diagnosis. I know I did and it became all consuming for a time. It could be said that it still is, judging by how much time I spend here!

I would recommend trying to focus on the autistic led websites and publications at first. A lot of the stuff that isn't autistic led can be stereotypical, pathological in nature and sometimes plain wrong.

I found the Aucademy website and YouTube videos helpful.https://aucademy.co.uk/starting-your-autistic-discovery-journey/

Another more recent autistic led site seems a good place to start. https://autismunderstood.co.uk/ It is written with younger people in mind but I think it is suitable for anyone of any age to learn the basics.

In terms of books I would recommend seeking out content by Dr Luke Beardon, a senior lecturer in autism. In particular his book on avoiding anxiety in autistic adults, if anxiety is an issue for you.

I've probably overwhelmed you even more. No rush, you've got the rest of your life to take it all in.

• I think that many of us have be coping / fighting it (without actually knowing what it was) for decades.

Absolutely, yes, yes, yes !

Ben

• You did well to get through/survive that. My only time as an inpatient was really bad (not sectioned, but the doors were locked and I was told I'd be sectioned if I tried to leave). I can't imagine going through that 3 times, so great job!

• Hello!

I'm a similar age and awaiting to be assessed - probably not until next year or year after. At least I'm on the list now - something that I had to really fight for.

Since the COVID pandemic I have had a lot of physical struggles and trying to get help for those has really exposed my suspected ASD. I've been sectioned 3 times in the last 18 months - hopefully I wont be visiting the "suicide suite" anytime soon.

Apologies, I think I was starting to hijack your thread for a moment.

It's particularly interesting and somewhat "comforting" to read about people of similar age being diagnosed for the first time. I think that many of us have be coping / fighting it (without actually knowing what it was) for decades. So, whilst the waiting list isn't ideal, I guess at least times have moved on and there is now more knowledge of ASD.

Welcome aboard!

• Thank you for your advice and encouragement. I do feel as though I'm putting myself under a lot of pressure to learn as much as I can, as quickly as I can. I have taken up knitting to try to divert myself from endless research!

• Thank you for these suggestions. It's good to know of books that an autistic person has read and found helpful. Neurotypical folk don't seem to always understand what we need!

• Well, there are many to be found in libraries, on Amazon as e-books and in good bookshops.... or maybe even in bad bookshops!

Here are three that I have read; the first was my introduction to books on the subject, and I found I shared much with the author.

‘An Adult with an Autism Diagnosis: A Guide for the Newly Diagnosed’ by Gillan Drew

‘Untypical’ by Pete Wharmby

& ‘What I Want to Talk About’ also by Pete Wharmby

Maybe others here can make a recommendation or two.

Ben

• hello! I found it very hard and overwhelming to come to terms with my diagnosis as well. I found it best to leave it a little while and let everything settle before I jumped onto looking at the thousands of suggestions (sometimes poor) that people give you. This place is great though. Maybe stick with just this until it feels easier to look at anything else?

• Thank you for your reply. It's a massive help to realise I'm not alone in all of this. Can you recommend any books? I really don't know where to begin.

• Hi there ...679

I'm happy to read that you've found the forum helpful, there are a great number of members here, some appear frequently, some not so often.  I first joined about three years ago after being diagnosed at 67. The rest of my story is, I think,  similar  to yours... and as you say above..'so many other adults'.

I suggest you carry on looking at the forum and think about reading a few books, knowledge goes a long way, and most of the time I identify with what I'm reading.  Oh how I wish I could known many years ago, but I didn't..... so that's that.

It really is a learning curve that brings enlightenment.

Ben