Hi

Just wanted to say hi. I was recently diagnosed ASD at age 54. I can really identify with what I have been reading on here. I have survived 54 years, just about, without a diagnosis or any assistance. I am feeling relieved to have the diagnosis but at the same time very overwhelmed. It seems to be taking over my life. I want to be able to accept my differences and not be held back by them or obsessed by them. I seem to have been given hundreds of different websites etc to look at, but having discovered this community today I can honestly say it's been the most helpful place. Just to know that there are so many other adults out there feeling the same as me and having the same life experiences. I feel so much better for this. I have come to accept being alone, but it's nice to be able to connect in some way with other people who understand. I am hoping that in time my diagnosis will give me the understanding of my life and the positivity that I hoped for. I'm grateful that so many people have shared their experiences here.

Parents
  • Hi there ...679

I'm happy to read that you've found the forum helpful, there are a great number of members here, some appear frequently, some not so often.  I first joined about three years ago after being diagnosed at 67. The rest of my story is, I think,  similar  to yours... and as you say above..'so many other adults'.

I suggest you carry on looking at the forum and think about reading a few books, knowledge goes a long way, and most of the time I identify with what I'm reading.  Oh how I wish I could known many years ago, but I didn't..... so that's that.

It really is a learning curve that brings enlightenment.

Ben

• Hi there ...679

I'm happy to read that you've found the forum helpful, there are a great number of members here, some appear frequently, some not so often.  I first joined about three years ago after being diagnosed at 67. The rest of my story is, I think,  similar  to yours... and as you say above..'so many other adults'.

I suggest you carry on looking at the forum and think about reading a few books, knowledge goes a long way, and most of the time I identify with what I'm reading.  Oh how I wish I could known many years ago, but I didn't..... so that's that.

It really is a learning curve that brings enlightenment.

Ben

Children