51yr Old Newly Diagnosed

Hello, well today was the big day, I found out I officially have ASC and likely have ADHD.  It seems so unfair for 51years I've thought I was inferior, different or defective.  Seems a shame that it took a 3rd massive burn out before I discovered the reason for all of this madness.  Pleased to officially belong here and looking forward to a new chapter.  Thank you all, Gavin

• welcome home. For me it has been a short time too. I am in my late 60s!, though.

There is more about this on my profile page. 

I had felt alone and tribe-less all my life.

It is very nice to meet you here.

• Yes I can relate to feeling that I still have all the struggles with the world and daily life that I've always had.  Thing is that I rather hoped that having a diagnosis of autism would make it less of a struggle  Instead it seems to have opened a can of worms!  Hope is a tricky one - something a bit more tangible would be nice. - I agree though re:tools and strategies and a database of these for recently diagnose adults.  "protected status" and what that implies seems to be one of them.  I wonder if there is a definitive source of others on this website?  Or whether it will take a bit of research and being in the right place at the right time to develop.  The bit about being wrong because others think so is a funny one.  I am drawn to consider that there should be more acceptance that the burden of proof should be on the other person to prove it.  And not just because most other people see or do it differently and are biased towards that. All the best

• It almost feels like re-writing the whole book as was and as will be in many ways.  Wider society seems to want to say

I get this. Like others here, I just thought I was defective, wrong. Realizing that I'm autistic in my 50s is enlightening, certainly, but I still have all the struggles with the world and daily life that I've always had. 

If I hope for anything, it's that understanding will better enable me to find the tools to cope. 

• Myself diagnosed ASC age 58 a few months ago,  I concur with much of what This Person (Ottilie) has written and have similar experiences and feelings about what you and they describe.  "sinking in"? Yes I get that.  At present I don't really believe that it is a discrete "chapter" though.  It almost feels like re-writing the whole book as was and as will be in many ways.  Wider society seems to want to say "there, that's all done and explained: we've got that sorted then".   More realistically it remains a work in progress.  I wish more in wider society might consider it that way and to you all the best with it :-)

• Thank you Ottilie, wise words. I understand the need for me to let it sink in and process. Good luck in your journey 

• Take time to let it sink in. I'm 52 and diagnosed last month. It is unfair to feel that the problem has been you when it was something that simply is and beyond your control. We can't change our neurology. You've always been who you are, don't forget that. Diagnosis just puts an official stamp that's recognised legally in society. There will be days when you feel validated and days when you feel grief for your younger self that didn't have a chance to be ok. Like you, I view it as the next chapter and I cling to that through the grief. I have had days when I am crippled with grief feeling the trauma I have endured and survived to get to this point where I can even begin to do what's right for me, which should have happened since I was born. Sending you understanding and empathy xx