51yr Old Newly Diagnosed

Hello, well today was the big day, I found out I officially have ASC and likely have ADHD.  It seems so unfair for 51years I've thought I was inferior, different or defective.  Seems a shame that it took a 3rd massive burn out before I discovered the reason for all of this madness.  Pleased to officially belong here and looking forward to a new chapter.  Thank you all, Gavin

Parents
  • Take time to let it sink in. I'm 52 and diagnosed last month. It is unfair to feel that the problem has been you when it was something that simply is and beyond your control. We can't change our neurology. You've always been who you are, don't forget that. Diagnosis just puts an official stamp that's recognised legally in society. There will be days when you feel validated and days when you feel grief for your younger self that didn't have a chance to be ok. Like you, I view it as the next chapter and I cling to that through the grief. I have had days when I am crippled with grief feeling the trauma I have endured and survived to get to this point where I can even begin to do what's right for me, which should have happened since I was born. Sending you understanding and empathy xx

• Take time to let it sink in. I'm 52 and diagnosed last month. It is unfair to feel that the problem has been you when it was something that simply is and beyond your control. We can't change our neurology. You've always been who you are, don't forget that. Diagnosis just puts an official stamp that's recognised legally in society. There will be days when you feel validated and days when you feel grief for your younger self that didn't have a chance to be ok. Like you, I view it as the next chapter and I cling to that through the grief. I have had days when I am crippled with grief feeling the trauma I have endured and survived to get to this point where I can even begin to do what's right for me, which should have happened since I was born. Sending you understanding and empathy xx

Children