51yr Old Newly Diagnosed

Hello, well today was the big day, I found out I officially have ASC and likely have ADHD.  It seems so unfair for 51years I've thought I was inferior, different or defective.  Seems a shame that it took a 3rd massive burn out before I discovered the reason for all of this madness.  Pleased to officially belong here and looking forward to a new chapter.  Thank you all, Gavin

Parents
  • Myself diagnosed ASC age 58 a few months ago,  I concur with much of what This Person (Ottilie) has written and have similar experiences and feelings about what you and they describe.  "sinking in"? Yes I get that.  At present I don't really believe that it is a discrete "chapter" though.  It almost feels like re-writing the whole book as was and as will be in many ways.  Wider society seems to want to say "there, that's all done and explained: we've got that sorted then".   More realistically it remains a work in progress.  I wish more in wider society might consider it that way and to you all the best with it :-)

• Myself diagnosed ASC age 58 a few months ago,  I concur with much of what This Person (Ottilie) has written and have similar experiences and feelings about what you and they describe.  "sinking in"? Yes I get that.  At present I don't really believe that it is a discrete "chapter" though.  It almost feels like re-writing the whole book as was and as will be in many ways.  Wider society seems to want to say "there, that's all done and explained: we've got that sorted then".   More realistically it remains a work in progress.  I wish more in wider society might consider it that way and to you all the best with it :-)

Children
  • It almost feels like re-writing the whole book as was and as will be in many ways.  Wider society seems to want to say

I get this. Like others here, I just thought I was defective, wrong. Realizing that I'm autistic in my 50s is enlightening, certainly, but I still have all the struggles with the world and daily life that I've always had. 

If I hope for anything, it's that understanding will better enable me to find the tools to cope.