Discovering myself (in my 50's)

My journey to discovery began last week, when a friend suggested I may be on the spectrum and after researching I am convinced.

Aside from some other obvious traits I often feel what others feel and often it overwhelms me. Although I am getting better over the years, it can take days to recover. I struggle to work in an office as I feel too overloaded by noises, lights, emotions, it’s like I have no filter and I am looking at people wondering what super-powers they have that they can just tune it all out..!?

I honestly feel that now I have had my eyes opened – that I am happy. I was buzzing today knowing that I may not be the only person and that there are others out there that “get me” or maybe experience some of the challenges I do. Also, I feel very lucky that I can function out there.

BIG WAVE to all

Parents
  • I’m 51 next month and it has took me till now to realise that I am different, my daughter who is 20 has been diagnosed with autism and I have the same traits as her, I have struggled all my life with the way I am, I may come across as rude sometimes and I have no friends because people don’t get on with me. I am going to the doctors to ask for a referral, am I doing the right thing or should I leave it alone at this late stage.

• Hi Linz,

Great to hear from you.

Good question. Personally I believe there are two considerations. Firstly, it depends on whether having an official diagnosis is personally important to you or if you're content with self-identifying. Secondly, as people have mentioned, an official diagnosis can open up opportunities for support and assistance. Additionally, as Ottilie pointed out, without a diagnosis, you may not have legal protection as an autistic individual.

Ultimately, the decision on whether to pursue an official diagnosis depends on your own preferences and goals. Initially, I chose to self-identify, (especially considering the potential delays in obtaining an appointment through the NHS in the UK). However, after hearing from others, I will pursue an official one.

Remember that you don't have to make a decision today. If this was a surprise revelation, it might be beneficial to give yourself a few days to let the information settle and gain a fresh perspective before deciding.

Let me know your thoughts.

• Hi Linz,

Great to hear from you.

Good question. Personally I believe there are two considerations. Firstly, it depends on whether having an official diagnosis is personally important to you or if you're content with self-identifying. Secondly, as people have mentioned, an official diagnosis can open up opportunities for support and assistance. Additionally, as Ottilie pointed out, without a diagnosis, you may not have legal protection as an autistic individual.

Ultimately, the decision on whether to pursue an official diagnosis depends on your own preferences and goals. Initially, I chose to self-identify, (especially considering the potential delays in obtaining an appointment through the NHS in the UK). However, after hearing from others, I will pursue an official one.

Remember that you don't have to make a decision today. If this was a surprise revelation, it might be beneficial to give yourself a few days to let the information settle and gain a fresh perspective before deciding.

Let me know your thoughts.

Children
  • Thank you, I work as an activities co-ordinator in a care home.

• Another good question Linz!

Sorry to kind of opt out here but I do not know your situation, which makes it difficult for me to provide a specific answer. However, I can offer some general thoughts if you like?

It may be beneficial to consider two factors: the individuals involved and your company's stance on mental health. For instance, if I were to disclose my potential diagnosis to my company, some managers might be supportive and help, but without an official diagnosis, it remains more of a theory.

To explore this from a different perspective, let's imagine I am a manager, and an employee approaches me requesting a month off due to a hypothetical illness like tuberculosis. In such a case, I would likely ask for an official doctor's note or documentation. If the employee responds by saying it's just a theory without any proof, my options to support them would be limited. Although this example may not directly relate to your situation, it illustrates the point that without a confirmed diagnosis, the argument could (maybe?) be considered speculative.

However, it is also possible that your company values mental health and would take your situation seriously even without an official diagnosis.

As a closing thought – if you feel comfortable and confident in your company's ability to handle the information confidentially, it may be worth reaching out to your HR department for their guidance.

Sorry that I cannot offer anymore, I feel like offering a "yes" or "no" would be unfair on you. If that makes sense?

• Thank you so much,  think I am going to push for a referral because I would like to know, should I tell work that I am doing this,