Mother of new diagnosed son

My 16 year boy has been very lonely and isolated since starting college. He has a twin brother who has been his partner in crime since they were born. Now his brother is at college in a different class. He has not made any friends and is getting increasing depressed, which lead into epic meltdowns. I desperately want to help him. Anyone in the same situation, or have any tips?

Parents
  • I am an 18-year-old relatively recently diagnosed autistic person. I found making friends in school extremely difficult. I have found that being around other autistic people/neurodivergent people general makes it a lot easier to make friends.

Is there any groups for autistic teenagers in your area? Or an explorer scout unit? (I found that a lot of scouts are neurodivergent when I went).

I also know a lot of autistic people that found online friends are easier to connect with. Has he tried anything like that on discord servers etc.?

• I am an 18-year-old relatively recently diagnosed autistic person. I found making friends in school extremely difficult. I have found that being around other autistic people/neurodivergent people general makes it a lot easier to make friends.

Is there any groups for autistic teenagers in your area? Or an explorer scout unit? (I found that a lot of scouts are neurodivergent when I went).

I also know a lot of autistic people that found online friends are easier to connect with. Has he tried anything like that on discord servers etc.?

Children
  • Hi, I think this is good advice. I am autistic too though I was only diagnosed recently at age 25. I had a hard time at school- I had no friends. I realised later that there probably just wasn’t anyone I could have connected to at my school. That changed at university- I met some people that I connected to (through shared interests) and those friendships developed almost effortlessly- I realised that before this I just hadn’t come accross the ‘right people’ that I could connect to. It’s not always easy to find those people but in my experience the best chance is through a shared interest- does your son have any hobbies or interests through which he could meet people? Also if there are any groups for autistic people that could be an idea. I realised recently that most of my friends actually are neurodivergent too (I just didn’t know when I met them- only found out when i mentioned to them that I am autistic). School can be very hard. I would like your son to know that there are people in the world that he can connect to and make friends with- he just hasn’t met them yet but he will. I blamed myself for not trying hard enough to make friends at school, for not engaging enough or for not going when I got an 1-2 invitations to go to movies with classmates. I didn’t know that i was autistic or why i was different. It turned out that when I did meet the right people making friends with them was easy and those friendships that are the best and last are those where i can be myself more (rather than having to mask). The university setting really helped to put me in contact with people and it has been much harder since i graduated as it can be difficult to put yourself in situations where you can meet people. 

It sounds like your son is getting overwhelmed at school- has he been able to point out any factors that add to stress at school? Could the school make some accomodations that might help? 

• Hi, we have talked about this with him. I'm sure he will at some point. He is still in a bit of denial. He has been referred to CAMHS 5 times since early childhood, and everything they said it was our parenting, even though his twin brother was perfectly fine. I've had a look, and I think it would be great for him to speak to people his age with the same diagnosis. I'm trying to encourage him to dip his toes in  x