Son just diagnosed

My 2 year old just diagnosed with autism. Now what would happen next. I heard about occupational therapy and ABA. But whom to contact for these. Shall I search privately or the get a referral from gp. 

• I'm sure

Dancing Queen on puppeteer's strings

• with aba you will become the dancing queen!

• Agreed.  We don't mean to sound harsh or criticise you, but language does matter to us.  Identify first is the key.  Autism is as key to our being as our gender, sexuality or ethnicity.  I am autistic or I am an autistic woman in the same way as I am straight or I am a straight woman.

Sigh, even the medical profession doesn't get it.  Mine wrote in a letter that I "suffer with autism"  No! No! and No! I do not "suffer with autism", like I say, "suffer with IBS".  It's not an illness or a defect.  After all, I don't suffer from being "Irish/Italian".  Any suffering involved in anyone's ethnicity comes from society's prejudice.  Nothing wrong, defective or inferior with the individual.  Likewise, any suffering involved in being autistic comes from the NT world not understanding us, not from the fact that we are autistic.  We simply have a different brain wiring.  It functions perfectly well, thank you, but very differently to most.

• I forgot I found once graphic novel representation of ABA therapy

• They say it's moved on, but ABA is historically based on making autistic people behave like neurotypicals; basically stopping them from stimming, forcing eye contact and hugs etc, through relentless training with punishment and reward.  Torture!  Basically.

It may succeed in making them appear "better" or "more acceptable" in the eyes of NT adults, but that'll also be an adult psychological crisis waiting to happen. 

After all there is a reason we don't slap left handed kiddies' hands anymore to make them write with the right because they'd be in league with the devil - it's asking them to do something unnatural to them just to fit in . It's giving them a powerful message that they are not OK to be who they are and it's damaging.  So, we've given up doing that.

Pretty much is the same for ABA.  Your son is a normal autistic kid, not a defective neurotypical, and needs to live the best autistic life he can and that is going to depend as much on the NT world understanding him as him understanding NTs and knowing it's OK to do things his way.  

That's not to say that you and he don't need or deserve support through the challenges this brings, so yes, I would speak to your GP about that.

Occupational therapy, I gather, can help with some of the distress caused by the sensory issues.

• you should modify your way of talking about your son, try my autistic son, this way you are not telling him and everyone else you think thereis something wrong about him, because there isn't

saying with autism means that you consider  it a disease or something like, even if do not intend it 

• ABA therapy is the worst evil on this planet from autistic point of you

they will tell you it's the best help you can get while it is actually a torture for your child dressed in pretty words for parents that are trusting and really want to help their child

• 2 does seem young for a diagnosis. My son who was quite severe and non verbal was almost 4 before we got a diagnosis and my nephew was 7

• Yes, it is becoming a bit of a hyperbole. 

Kids aren't allowed to be kids anymore. 

• lol my sisters kid is like 3 or 5 or something and still doesnt speak and thus you cant engage in a conversation with, because still a baby... every single baby will be diagnosed as autistic if they test them that young... they havent yet had a chance to learn to communicate properly or had a chance to develope socially alongside other kids. this is probably how every single person in the future will be listed as autistic if they test them this young lol

• 2 is a bit young i think.... they seem to have jumped the gun, they dont wait until they have a chance to socially developed and interact with others first? how can they diagnose this when your kid is too young to have had a chance to develop socially?