Son just diagnosed

My 2 year old just diagnosed with autism. Now what would happen next. I heard about occupational therapy and ABA. But whom to contact for these. Shall I search privately or the get a referral from gp. 

Parents
  • 2 does seem young for a diagnosis. My son who was quite severe and non verbal was almost 4 before we got a diagnosis and my nephew was 7

• you should modify your way of talking about your son, try my autistic son, this way you are not telling him and everyone else you think thereis something wrong about him, because there isn't

saying with autism means that you consider  it a disease or something like, even if do not intend it 

• you should modify your way of talking about your son, try my autistic son, this way you are not telling him and everyone else you think thereis something wrong about him, because there isn't

saying with autism means that you consider  it a disease or something like, even if do not intend it 

Children
  • Agreed.  We don't mean to sound harsh or criticise you, but language does matter to us.  Identify first is the key.  Autism is as key to our being as our gender, sexuality or ethnicity.  I am autistic or I am an autistic woman in the same way as I am straight or I am a straight woman.

Sigh, even the medical profession doesn't get it.  Mine wrote in a letter that I "suffer with autism"  No! No! and No! I do not "suffer with autism", like I say, "suffer with IBS".  It's not an illness or a defect.  After all, I don't suffer from being "Irish/Italian".  Any suffering involved in anyone's ethnicity comes from society's prejudice.  Nothing wrong, defective or inferior with the individual.  Likewise, any suffering involved in being autistic comes from the NT world not understanding us, not from the fact that we are autistic.  We simply have a different brain wiring.  It functions perfectly well, thank you, but very differently to most.