Suicide

I know that this is a difficult subject but I would like to know if anyone here, in a relationship with an autistic person, has been driven to the brink of suicide? It would do me good to talk.... That said, my husband hasn't been diagnosed and probably never will be, because he can't start to see that he might have it or what it does to me, but he does have a lot of the traits. I have tried to make use of articles about what partners go through but that overwhelms him, he talked to his GP and was put on anti-depressants but stopped.... I think that we are at the end of our relationship but I don't see a way to go on. 

Parents
  • Anti depressents are terrible they are a Band-Aid to a bigger problem. It numbs you but doesn't help if he doesn't want to seek help he won't get better or try improve himself. You can only lead a horse to water.

• Where are these antid's that actually numb you? I need them, i need a lot of them. 

• Hi Flint, there are many anti-depressants out there, maybe speak to your GP about them? I believe that they are good to get you through a bad patch in your life but the best thing is always to learn to deal with the situation or solve the problems, not live with anti-depressants but there are situations when they just help us get through a bad patch a bit more easily! I hope this helps...  

• Hi Flint, you are so very right... the right help is not there. I have the feeling that Mental Health is nowadays nothing more than a business, and a big one too! Sometimes things could be helped by speaking to a professional a few times but because they let everything get ever worse and those dealing with huge problems are left to do all the leg work the outcome may be bad and it didn't need to be. If you have a lot of money you will always be OK, or at least doors open for you, if you don't, and that is a big part of the population, there is nothing there for you, no matter how much all the charities and the Royals say that this isn't true! I am in a better place now..... but the family members should not be left in the cold!!!!!! We count too...............................or at least we should and we need as much support or even more because we can do a lot of good! 

• If there is one thing I've learnt about GP's and psychiatrists it's that they can't help my Depression. I don't bother with trying to get their help anymore. 

Anyway hope you're feeling less suicidal now.

Reply Children
  • Hi Flint, you are so very right... the right help is not there. I have the feeling that Mental Health is nowadays nothing more than a business, and a big one too! Sometimes things could be helped by speaking to a professional a few times but because they let everything get ever worse and those dealing with huge problems are left to do all the leg work the outcome may be bad and it didn't need to be. If you have a lot of money you will always be OK, or at least doors open for you, if you don't, and that is a big part of the population, there is nothing there for you, no matter how much all the charities and the Royals say that this isn't true! I am in a better place now..... but the family members should not be left in the cold!!!!!! We count too...............................or at least we should and we need as much support or even more because we can do a lot of good!