Autistic?

Hi,

And apologies in advance for the long post.

A bit of background, I am 36 and have always been a little quirky. I have also suffered a lot with various mental health problems and breakdowns since I was a kid and have a long list of diagnosis.

A year ago I started working for an Autistic charity and although it had been suggested I could be autistic when I was hospitalised once I had never given it much thought.
When doing our training I realised I had so many traits. I have to eat the same food everyday for breakfast otherwise I stress all day. I can't just like something, I get obsessed, I am very hypersensitive to cold, either cold food such as ice or cold weather. As a kid I was a bit of a musical prodigy til I had my first breakdown at 16. Which is when my first diagnosis of bipolar came. Looking back I think what actually happened is I kind of had this realisation that I was extremely different to most people and I didn't know how to just fit in. I was bullied a lot in school. I had no idea about fitting in or why people cared and after my breakdown and dropping out of college, I started paying attention to what people seemed to like in others and copying. I think this is called masking. 

I even went so far as covering myself in tattoos to try seem cool but actually it was mostly about covering up self harm scars. I started self harming when i was 10 because the world just really stressed me out. 

Anyway, I have an anxiety therapist at the moment and she suggested we do a test together and we did and the results were quite high, and in her words, much higher than she expected.
Then she asked me what I want to do with this and I don't actually know?

I am really paranoid about going to my GP and seeking a diagnosis because I'm always paranoid they think im attention seeking so I just don't go unless I really have to. I have some physical stuff, Im in the process of being tested for epilepsy and I have a lot of gut problems. But on the other hand I am really worried that the benefits I have been receiving for the past 10 years will end soon and I think it's much easier to get social care support with an autism diagnosis than simply a mental health diagnosis. And I would love to work more if I could, but I currently work 2 days a week and any more than that and I know i just couldn't cope. When im tired I just end up not being able to tolerate anything and I usually end up in another meltdown and getting hospitalised. 

Anyway, not sure what i'm looking for...any advice or something?

TIA

• Hi ,

Thank you for sharing this with the community. I'm sorry to hear about some of the struggles that you have had. 

If you were interested in finding out if you are on the autism spectrum, you would need to have a formal diagnostic assessment. You may find it useful to have a look at the following link for further information about diagnosis and the benefits of getting one:

http://www.autism.org.uk/about/diagnosis.aspx 

Furthermore, it is important the professional you see has experience of autism spectrum disorders. You can find details of diagnostic services on our Autism Services Directory in the Assessment and diagnosis section:http://www.autism.org.uk/directory.aspx

You may like to have a look at the following page which includes personal accounts, which may help:http://www.autism.org.uk/about/adult-life/stories.aspx

It might also be useful to pass on information about autism to health professionals when seeking a diagnosis. The following page includes information for a range of health professionals:
    https://www.autism.org.uk/about/diagnosis/professionals-involved.aspx

If you have further questions, you may like to contact our Autism Helpline team. They can provide you with information and advice about getting a diagnosis. You can call them on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm).Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor.

I hope this is useful,

ChloeMod:)

• I can't offer advice but I can say that 'I get you' 

I'm going for diagnosis at 43 after realising my cyclical breakdowns come from my masking failing and becoming overwhelmed with anxiety as a result.  Also getting to the hormonal stage of life where dancing to the tune of the modern world is more than I can be bothered with. Time to find out who I really am!

I think the hive mind that exists on here could be very helpful for finding your feet - with, or without, formal diagnosis.  I'm certainly finding that it feels like a safe space to be.

Take Care of yourself Slight smile

• Sometimes, writing things down helps just to start with. You don't need to know what you're looking for and maybe you'll have a question you really want to ask later.

For now, can I ask which musical instrument (s) you played? Is that something you enjoy?