Hi, new here

Hi, I'm new so I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm in my mid-30s, living in Scotland. For most of my adult life I've suspected I might be autistic, but only recently decided to speak to my GP about getting a referral. 

It wasn't until getting my first job a few years ago, that I started having major difficulties. Working in an open plan office is something I've never got used too, particularly when it gets noisy, plus the lighting. And it took me too long to figure out all the unwritten socials rules that I'd ended up rubbing up many of my colleagues up the wrong way.

Anyway at the time I got a referral from my GP to an audiologist and got diagnosed with Auditory Processing Disorder, as sound was one of the bigger issues I struggled with. Though I kind of regret just not seeking an autism diagnosis back then as it would have been easier knowing one way or the other.

But now that I have finally spoken to my GP about an autism assessment referral, it feels like being stuck in between. Even though I feel reasonably sure from everything I've read about ASD, I don't know for certain. So still working out what to do with that self-knowledge, if that makes any sense.

This has been more rambly than I intended!

• they dont know ( i didnt tell them but its an office info leaks gradually) . I use ear defenders plugged into my laptop for music they are better than noise cancelling for people talking. yea people generally wave their hands in front of my face but some get too close but thta a minor thing :)

• Thanks Aidie. I use a pair of noise cancelling headphones at work which helps with the background noise. Conversations with colleagues in the office can be a challenge especially if someone starts talking to me without getting my attention first. Though there's quieter areas for work chats in my current office which is good.

It's good that you're allowed to work somewhere quieter though understand feeling sub-concious.  Are you're colleagues understanding of your need?

• i have ASD and have office issues eg

• chatter ( some ppl voices worse than others ) .
    • light issues including sunlight.
    • cross office chatter where people around u have a conversation and u are in the middle trying to work ! 

I have several sets of headphones and ear defenders ( one with build in radio for music / white noise ).  These are quite effective. I can forward u the details of what they are. I am also allowed to move desks to a quieter place with my laptop if it just gets too much. But I dont like moving as i get self-conscious  but i reckon that will improve.

open plan offices are horrible. Microsoft have set up individual rooms for their autistic developers in the way they like :)

anyway welcome Pegasus to the forum. 

• Hi, Pegasus. Welcome to the group :Slight smileI'm in my mid-twenties and I've suspected autism for years, but I've definitely found adult life much more challenging (or, at least, challenging in different ways). I also work in an open plan office and it's really hard to bear - the noise and lighting are awful.

I'm also waiting for my assessment. It seems like a long wait, but hopefully it'll give us the answers we're looking for :)

• If you know the assessment centre that your referral has been sent to then maybe chase it, or ask your GP.

• Thanks. Imposter syndrome is definitely a bit of it. I'm pretty certain that my experiences are similar to everything I've read about ASD, and the various youtubers I've watched. My only doubts have been around whether my difficulties could be explained by anything else instead. I've accumulated a few diagnoses over the years as different doctors/psychiatrists haven't been consistent in what diagnosis they've given. Though ASD would be simpler than trying to cobble together various sensory processing, anxiety and personality disorders to cover everything.

Though I also get uncomfortable using labels about myself unless I know its exactly right. Even years after having the auditory processing diagnosis, I still feel uncomfortable trying to explain to people that I find hearing difficult in some situations, as my hearing is technically physically fine, but my attempts to explain the difference between auditory processing and hearing tends to result in confusion.

• I've no idea what the waiting list is like. I'm hoping that I'll get sent something telling me, otherwise I'll start chasing it up. My GP didn't seem very sure as to how to do a referral so doubt he'd have any idea about waiting times

• Hi! Welcome to the forum! I get what you mean about being stuck in between after referral and before assessment. You ‘know’ you probably do have ASD but it’s nit officially confirmed yet! Do you know how long the waiting list is in your area?

• Welcome, pegasus.

I get what you're saying about feeling like you're a bit in limbo at the moment; I was like that when I was waiting for my referral. It's quite common that people get a bit of "imposter syndrome" while they're waiting (and sometimes a bit even after their diagnosis).

But it doesn't matter to us here whether you have a formal diagnosis or not; it's all about the experiences that we have in common, not the labels, and you'll be made just as welcome.

Best wishes.

• Hello and welcome to the community!

• hello and welcome!

It was having lots of sensory issues, in particular extremely sensitive hearing (diagnosed hyperacusis) that led me down the autism path as it was a common thread between lots of issues i had.

• Hi Pegasus,

I got my diagnosis at 35.  It was good to have it confirmed.

I had always suspected as much.  

Are you happy as you are? 

Only tell people who you trust.  Because sometimes the stereotypes are not helpful.

If you get a diagnosis it will not change the positive aspects of your personality. But it will give you incite into some of the struggles you may have.  Or are currently having.

I have read many books on Asd.  The ones that I personally find more realistic  are those written by Asd people or their relatives.

We can acknowledge there is not a one size fits all manual for this condition.

All of us are individuals.  So culture, how we are treated by family. 

The communities we live in.  Even social class effects how we view the person we have become as an adult.  

Don't stress about what you might be.  Just try & carry on with a positive mindset knowing, if you are Autistic you will be ok.

There is lots of self help available out there online.

You could even start your own support group.

Other Asd individuals can be a fountain of info.  As usual online don't give your personal details.