autism or aspeger

is there are difference between autism and asperger?

if yes can anyone tell me what the difference?

Parents
  • I got a diagnosis of Aspergers back early this decade but prefer to say I’m autistic 

• Some of us have both terms in our diagnosis because the diagnostician still believes that the term Asperger's is relevant, and communicates something that the term autism doesn't entirely. I'm not very enthusiastic about being called an Aspie, though. It has connotations that I personally don't connect with. But I do quite like both terms together. I'm sometimes tempted to use 'neurodiverse', but I'm not altogether happy with that either. It just seems a bit patronising. And as i have found so few who really welcome my self-identification and diagnosis, I'm also tempted to call myself a long-term recluse. i''ve done that a few times, when people have made comments like, "In all my years here, I've never actually seen you before". It no longer bothers me for people to see me in that light.

• Some of us have both terms in our diagnosis because the diagnostician still believes that the term Asperger's is relevant, and communicates something that the term autism doesn't entirely. I'm not very enthusiastic about being called an Aspie, though. It has connotations that I personally don't connect with. But I do quite like both terms together. I'm sometimes tempted to use 'neurodiverse', but I'm not altogether happy with that either. It just seems a bit patronising. And as i have found so few who really welcome my self-identification and diagnosis, I'm also tempted to call myself a long-term recluse. i''ve done that a few times, when people have made comments like, "In all my years here, I've never actually seen you before". It no longer bothers me for people to see me in that light.

Children
  • I tend to be most unapologetic about my changeability.  I too have a notion that I'm just adapting to changing circumstances or unfolding data.

Today's label of choice for me is that I'm just a 'slow person' (on a similar basis to such things as Slow Food ;-) I've been told this many times, and I can see that it is quite close to the mark. I would justify that slowness by talking about my dyspraxic tendencies, poor balance, physical clumsiness and lack of grace. I tend to do one task at a time, and break it down into manageable sub-tasks Almost no multitasking, and I get easily flummoxed if anyone tries to crowd me or hurry me along. I think of  it as slow , but steady. I could also attempt to justify my slowness by talking about how i am surrounded by major league risk-takers, who are extremely accident prone. I've had my fair share of accidents, but I tend to learn from my trial and error. I'm the tortoise to their hare. I usually make it to the finish line, while they are often still nursing their 'crash' wounds. I have almost zero competitive spirit. I don't 'run' much, because I prefer to take a look around as I walk. But I do walk fast. I often much prefer jobs that most people would consider extremely boring and uncool.

But slow is now considered politically incorrect in these crash & burn times.

• Dammit, having to repost a lost post...

Maybe Neurofluid? or Polyneuro?

As for changing your mind:

"When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?"

NTs are often guilty of 'sticking to what they know (believe)' even in the face of overwhelming evidence that they're wrong.

For myself, I am often frustrated that others can't/don't just 'get' what seems obvious to me, plus I have been known to argue both sides of a case where there was equal merit - I think the fact that NAs usually discount any emotional component of a position is confusing to NTs as it looks like we 'constantly change position and attitude' when actually we're simply 'following the facts'...

• Interesting reply. I was already beginning to think that 'neuroatypical'' might fit the bill. And the idea of building on 'divergence', rather than 'diversity' was also considered. And yet, I still haven't found the term that I reckon best sums me up. Perhaps 'neurovariance' might give others some indication that my position is not at all static, on a day-by-day, hour-by-hour basis.To indicate better that this is a personal position, perhaps I could say that I'm an individual who experiences chronic neurovariance; but yet again someone got there first - not too surprisingly.

https://embraceasd.com/neurotypical-and-neurodivergent/

But I see they use neurovariance as a broad brush term. But it might still be quite relevant to me, as I have lost count of the times I have been accused of constantly changing my position and attitude. I might even be well summed up as being somewhat neuronebulous.

But I don't really want to be too cranky about different labels. What might suit me, will almost certainly not suit others. I'd encourage people to explore these terms until they find one that they are most comfortable with. (No sarcasm was intended in the composition of this post ;-) And I might even be classified as allistic (according to the above link), in the sense that I might actually be considered by some to exhibit non-autistic neurodivergence. I sense thus that i might eventually want  a DNA profile, or some sort of brain scan to figure that out; but that's probably years in the future, if I last that long.

• I use 'neuroatypical' as it is a better antonym for 'neurotypical'...

Neurodiverse is only accurate when describing a population, not an individual

Or consider 'ND' to be 'neurodivergent' (which will please Veronica Roth fans!)

There's a very informative blog post here on the 'correct' use of terms relating to ASD etc. 

https://neurocosmopolitanism.com/neurodiversity-some-basic-terms-definitions/