autism or aspeger

is there are difference between autism and asperger?

if yes can anyone tell me what the difference?

Parents
  • I got a diagnosis of Aspergers back early this decade but prefer to say I’m autistic 

• Some of us have both terms in our diagnosis because the diagnostician still believes that the term Asperger's is relevant, and communicates something that the term autism doesn't entirely. I'm not very enthusiastic about being called an Aspie, though. It has connotations that I personally don't connect with. But I do quite like both terms together. I'm sometimes tempted to use 'neurodiverse', but I'm not altogether happy with that either. It just seems a bit patronising. And as i have found so few who really welcome my self-identification and diagnosis, I'm also tempted to call myself a long-term recluse. i''ve done that a few times, when people have made comments like, "In all my years here, I've never actually seen you before". It no longer bothers me for people to see me in that light.

• I use 'neuroatypical' as it is a better antonym for 'neurotypical'...

Neurodiverse is only accurate when describing a population, not an individual

Or consider 'ND' to be 'neurodivergent' (which will please Veronica Roth fans!)

There's a very informative blog post here on the 'correct' use of terms relating to ASD etc. 

https://neurocosmopolitanism.com/neurodiversity-some-basic-terms-definitions/

• I tend to be most unapologetic about my changeability.  I too have a notion that I'm just adapting to changing circumstances or unfolding data.

Today's label of choice for me is that I'm just a 'slow person' (on a similar basis to such things as Slow Food ;-) I've been told this many times, and I can see that it is quite close to the mark. I would justify that slowness by talking about my dyspraxic tendencies, poor balance, physical clumsiness and lack of grace. I tend to do one task at a time, and break it down into manageable sub-tasks Almost no multitasking, and I get easily flummoxed if anyone tries to crowd me or hurry me along. I think of  it as slow , but steady. I could also attempt to justify my slowness by talking about how i am surrounded by major league risk-takers, who are extremely accident prone. I've had my fair share of accidents, but I tend to learn from my trial and error. I'm the tortoise to their hare. I usually make it to the finish line, while they are often still nursing their 'crash' wounds. I have almost zero competitive spirit. I don't 'run' much, because I prefer to take a look around as I walk. But I do walk fast. I often much prefer jobs that most people would consider extremely boring and uncool.

But slow is now considered politically incorrect in these crash & burn times.

• I tend to be most unapologetic about my changeability.  I too have a notion that I'm just adapting to changing circumstances or unfolding data.

Today's label of choice for me is that I'm just a 'slow person' (on a similar basis to such things as Slow Food ;-) I've been told this many times, and I can see that it is quite close to the mark. I would justify that slowness by talking about my dyspraxic tendencies, poor balance, physical clumsiness and lack of grace. I tend to do one task at a time, and break it down into manageable sub-tasks Almost no multitasking, and I get easily flummoxed if anyone tries to crowd me or hurry me along. I think of  it as slow , but steady. I could also attempt to justify my slowness by talking about how i am surrounded by major league risk-takers, who are extremely accident prone. I've had my fair share of accidents, but I tend to learn from my trial and error. I'm the tortoise to their hare. I usually make it to the finish line, while they are often still nursing their 'crash' wounds. I have almost zero competitive spirit. I don't 'run' much, because I prefer to take a look around as I walk. But I do walk fast. I often much prefer jobs that most people would consider extremely boring and uncool.

But slow is now considered politically incorrect in these crash & burn times.

Children
No Data