Newly Diagnosed as an Adult

Hello everyone. I was diagnosed with ASD around a month ago, in my 20s. I'm feeling quite alone and at sea with the new diagnosis, especially since there seems to be no post-diagnostic support or local groups where I live, so thought I'd make an account and say hi. I hope you're all doing okay today.

• Hello and welcome to the forum! Unfortunately there appears to be a vacuum of post diagnostic support for many people! How are you feeling bout your diagnosis?

• Erm a lot of similar symptoms to me really, except he's also amazing with numbers and maths.

• so you said you believe your friends has asperger syndrome. so what is the sign of his asperger?

• well as I said up there, part of my autism, i either play with children or other autistic people of all age. I don't like geting on with my peers as my peers world make me boring and i don't like their world. but usually for autistic people of any age, usually are those who has a similar world to me so normally if they love disneyland characters as a special interest, then yes.

• I think my favourite is Mulan because I like how she represents feminism! 

• That sounds great! I always wanted to go to Disneyland as a kid but never made it there. I have just the one friend in real life. He's not diagnosed with Aspergers but we both think he is too. We share an interest in history and we both ride together. He's the only good friend I've really had in my life though and he's currently away for 2 months so I'm struggling quite a lot without him because I literally don't have anybody else. What about you? 

• mine is alice in wonderland, winnie the pooh and peter pan because these characters are so cute make me want to touch and feel them if i go to disneland again. and because these characters share autistic condition like me.

• my special interest in disney characters because the chracters are so cute and some does share some autistic condition like me. when i was in disneyland and i took pictures with the costume characters and play with the characters there, i loves the touch of the characters when i gave them a hug there. so i loves disneyland characters very much. I go to disneyland every 2 years. i  go to one in hong kong usually but I've been to the one in tokyo and i took pictures with donald duck, stitch, aurora and duffy the bear and hope to go to the one either florida or Los angelous where i can take more with more characters.

so tell me do you have any friends?

• Who's your favourite Disney character?

• I'm not sure really.... I guess I just think it's fascinating finding out how people lived and what they thought and believed in different time periods and seeing how different, but also similar, they were to us.

• alright! well it sounds like you are interested in history and horse. so why do you love history?

• Sounds like you've had quite a bad time of it when it comes to other people too. I have body dysmorphic disorder as well, which involves a lot of anxiety as well as OCD type tendencies. I'm now realising that things like the perfectionism and eye for detail that come as part of my autism diagnosis definitely contribute to and fuel the BDD diagnosis. Makes for quite a difficult mess to fix.

My main love is horses and horse riding, but I also really like languages and history. I relate a lot to what you say about just not having the same interests as your peers and not enjoying the things that they enjoy. I found it hard to fit in at uni because everybody wanted to go out drinking and clubbing all the time and that's just my idea of a nightmare. I far prefer a quiet movie night with friends, or a day trip to some interesting historical place. I don't get the appeal of loud music events at all.

• so to answer you question growing up with autism for me abit good and bad experience. so tell me what are you interested in?

• well for me, abit of terrible experience and some good experience.

Like you, I was bullied alot especially in primary school. but not just being bullied but got lots of critism which is very traumatic to hear.

well let me tell you about my background.

I was diagnosed with autism at the age of 3 (which is PDDNOS). part of my autism, I have OCD, obsession, anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder, ritualized behaviour, strange restricted routine, restricted special interest in disney characters, delay development, delay speech, social deficit and sometime emotional deficit. I am from ireland but my parent are hong kong. so I am an irish of a hongkong descendant.

so part of my autism, I don't get on well with my peers as my peers world doesn't interest me and even not something i like. you see nowaday, lots of teenager ( especially the irish one) love more things like music, sport and being popular and cool which i don't like. In my autistic world, I loves playing with figurines, toys, dolls and disney characters are my special interest. so I either play with other children around my neighbour area or I play with other autistic people of all age like me because for children, they love playing with toys like me and usually I can interact with other autistic people of any age if their world are similar to my world.

So I don't like interacting with my peers. but like you I was bullied alot because of my too differences and strangness but I'm not just got bullied, I also got criticised by some of my therapist in the past. you see not every therapist in my county just focus on autism. they focus on any mental health area so they may not know much about what is like to have autism except they know how to force and change them espeicially the speech and language one who are there to make you to able to function in the society.

• Really nice to meet you Adrian, thank you for responding to my post! I really enjoy a good Disney movie too. :) For me growing up was sort of okay in primary school and then I got to secondary school and everybody just seemed to think I was really weird and started bullying me for all sorts of things that made me who I was (my interests, hobbies, things I enjoyed, etc.) and for being clever. So secondary was a pretty horrible experience for me to be honest and then university was really hard because I didn't really cope with being away from home and got so homesick all the time and again it was hard to fit in. 

How do you think your autism has affected you growing up? How do you find other teenagers are with you?

• Also you can talk to me throught this forum if you want to. you can express your world to me as i like to know more about other autistic world.

• alright! 

So you are in your 20s and just got diagnosed with autism. 

Well welcome to the forum, I am Adrian and is an autistic teen boy who loves disney characters very much. I also have some OCD as well.

so tell me what it was like growing up for you?

• Quite a lot of symptoms really. I'm still at the stage where I'm coming to realise that all sorts of things that I just thought were "normal" are actually autism-related eg. insanely good hearing, sense of touch, taste, smell etc. I hadn't realised that other people don't do the amount of thinking and analysing I do in social situations, it just comes intuitively to them, or that other people don't notice the amount of detail I notice in the world around me. The assessment really came up because I was a facing a massive change and I wasn't coping with it well at all, so that's when people started to suspect that maybe my extreme reaction could mean I was autistic and apparently they were right. Still very much trying to get my head around the idea though!