younger sigling displaying symptoms of bad behaviour. Older brother has adha

My nephew who is 14 has Adha, and conduct disorder and possibly ASD. My nephews younger sibling who is 4yrs old, is displaying the same behavioural patterns as my nephew. However, in my opinion the 4yr old seems to be far worse in his behaviour. My nephew at that age was not as bad in his behaviour. I have taken a lot of notice of the 4yr olds behaviour pattern. How i mean by bad behaviour, is the 4yr old has a younger sibiling 3yrs old. What is concerning is how the 4yr old constantly hits the 3yr old. Really hurting him. What really alarms me the 4yr old has tried to pull the 3yr olds private parts  off, The 4yr old will take everthing the 3yr old has eg. food, drinks,toys. The 4yr old with put items of the 3yrs old into the rubbish bin. The poor 3yr old has no say. He is hit kicked pushed,nipped. Always has black eyes. lumps on his head, bust lips. ect. The 4yr old also bullies, hits, kicks, other children in school. Teachers are very concerned. And i agree. Something is wrong with the 4yr old. His behaviour is a cause for concern. Need some helpful advice

• Interesting contribution about this product! If they were to make any claims about this I would get on to the advertising standards authority and get some action taken because there will be no evidence that it is an effective treatment for anything.

Having said that, there is a lot of evidence of gastrointestinal issues with ASD. It seems to me that it is likely this juice product has displaced another drink. Perhaps Sunny Delight got the boot and this product is not poisonous unlike other brightly coloured e number filled products.

Having looked at what the product is you might want to be aware that some people are likely to be intolerant of the product. Some people are intolerant of a number of common "healthy" fruits and vegetables. Oral Allergy Syndrome (AKA Pollen Fruit Syndrome) causes sufferers to have intestinal issues and/or rashes and swelling. The main fruits are apples and tomatoes but other common fruit and veg can cause similar reactions.

Either way, some ASD sufferers (like some NT people) will benefit from changing their diet to either include something specific or to exclude something else. Careful experimentation and observation, using an elimination diet, is important to work out what actually works for a particular person.

• just a quick note. I look after a 4 year old who has HFA. He gets very frustrated at times when he is unable to communicate due to his speech. He Stims a lot and so a far I do not see this as a problem as if this is his way of coping I believe it should be welcomed, although I worry about when he is older at school and other children may find it disturbing. He can lash out unexpectedly using violence against others that are in his space and becomes very upset afterwards and goes into meltdown . He also has sensory issues and problems with his bowels that can sometimes leave him in a lot of pain . I was given some information from a friend about juice plus; I had never heard of it before so I did some research of my own and spoke to other parents who had tried this and had some great feedback so thought we would give it a try . Within a few months everything seems to have calmed down And I am in no doubt that a lot has to with juice plus .his parents were reluctant to have him on medication so were more than happy to give anything else a try and are amazed with the results so far. I hope this May help  http://www.juiceplus.co.uk/+km69578 

• Hi again - if social services aren't much help, then ask another professional, such as your GP to refer the 4 yr old for an assessment to see if he's autistic or not.  When he goes to school, as you rightly say, it will become clear that he cannot cope there.  Has anyone had a word with the school to explain how he is  + how they can help?  The school senco cd refer him.  I know it feels like you're bashing your head off a brick wall trying to get people to listen + take action.  I know it's wrong that it's that way + that these people shd be helping, not hindering.  But, if that's the way it is, then the parents have to persist until action is taken.  Otherwise there will be a crisis + that will make things much more difficult for all concerned. 

• Seek diagnosis.

kez2476 said:

You know when something is not right with your child. And we as a family know something is just not right with the 4yr old....We know something is wrong with the 4yr old. 

I feel the need to take exception on the childs behalf. He is exactly as his genetics and experiences have made him and can be expected to take no responsibility for either genetic predisposition or the experiences of infancy both of which are matters of parental reponsablilty. There is nothing "wrong" with the child. The problem lies in the interaction between child and enviroment (to the AS child, people are enviromental factors and subject to generalisation.)

It seems likely that he is "paying it forward." If parental authority is power based, more on this here, or if he has been, probably covertly, subjected to such treatment by the older brother or children at school, then he probably considers his behavour perfectly normal. It is quite likely that his peers at least partially misrepresent the conflict at school. I remember children punching, kicking and pinching me with impunity, then running to the teacher when I responded in kind denying that "they started it" and demanding punative measures. This is such an effective method of bullying (because it co-opts the teachers authority) that it quickly becomes systemic. The teacher thus percieves the AS child as a troublemaker because of the volume of similar allegations from the NT majority. 

The other possible motivating factor to the violence is communication difficulty. If he is unable to reach an minimally acceptable compromise with others without violence then what other recource do you expect him to percieve? Teach him some negotiating skills. More on violence as a result of communication failure

• Social services are involved with our family. They have been no help whasoever. They will not listen to our concerns, regarding the 4yr olds behaviour. My 14 yr old nephew has really just been diagnosed with his. ASD,ADHA,Conduct Disorder.  We noticed problems with my 14yr old nephew when he was 7yrs old. Very little help from the The local Authority. School teachers. You know when something is not right with your child. And we as a family know something is just not right with the 4yr old. The behaviour pattern is very similar to the 14yr old when he was that age, but honestly speaking the 4yr olds behaviour is really worrying. For a child of that age. The 4yr old is starting a new school after the holidays. He will never cope. school is also a real worry. Nursery school was a real problem for the 4yr old. aswell. Very tearful clingy.agitated. hysterical, very shy. Not himself, No one seems to listen to our worrys. What do we do. We know something is wrong with the 4yr old. We desperetley need advice please

• Hi - is the 4 yr old being assessed for conditions such as adhd, autism?  If not a parent can approach a professional such as a gp,  hv etc.  What are the adults in the family doing about the situation?  How are they trying to deal with it?  I think it's important someone gets a grip of this within the family asap. Clearly things cannot continue as they are.