Feeling alone

When you feel alone what do you do? (As in alone as an autistic). I am a mum so hardly ever alone haha

also sometimes i just want to be by myself, even without my partner. Does anyone feel this? He never understands me & probably never will

• Alone time is either creative time or recharge time, sometimes both but I also need to be with others in a non stressful non demanding way. for that I try a few things.

1. sit at a cafe and watch people, sometimes talk with them

2. take a walk

3. watch a show.

4. I go to the gym where there are other people, all focused on their solitary activities and not having extensive conversations. Some fist bumps and a friendly "hey" now and then! It is enough to just be there in "parallel play'. This is my best medicine.

It is important to have encounters with people who have no obligations or expectations of me, even if they are brief,  like the baristas who know me so well at my fav go-tp cafe, and when I will show up that they have my drink ready when I walk through the door and are happy just to have an exchange with me and receive me as a friendly presence and are happy to see me.

I also may sit in a public space and just watch the people going about without having any exchanges, just enjoying the view.

So when you get that sense of loneliness you can do these sorts of things perhaps, or you can think of something likewise that would suit.   For me I have to leave all the familiar things in the space I live in and be in another familiar setting where there are people in a relatively quiet frame of mind.

The library is another good destination. 

• Same here! I’m also a mum and wife. I take 1-2 hours of being absolutely alone everyday. Otherwise I would… I don’t know. For sure shut down and burn out. My husband also does not understand that. We need to take care of ourselves even if it does not make sense to others. 

• Be Your own Best Friend.
    Never make somebody else a priority when all You will ever be to them is just an option. x

• Yes i feel alone and lonely. I hear people say that they feel alone even when they have a loving family. This is likely to be related to being autistic? Lonely is horrible. To feel no sense of belonging, no purpose. I dont feel loved, sounds sad i know. Perhaps i dont know what love is? X

• hi im new here and I feel alone sometimes and maybe we can meet someday and be friends also and maybe go do things together

• I'm always struggling with this too

• Hi. There is the Autistic Parents UK charity which you may wish to look at/join:

https://www.autisticparentsuk.org/

I hope this fulfills your need for connection with your neurokin who are also navigating parenthood!

• I am over joyed to be here with you and share. A rising tide lifts all boats!

• Thank you so much! This has really helped! I will try and speak to some autistic parents on here. I will also check out the books. Thank you so much for your help and understanding :)

• Reach out to other autistic parents struggling to cope. there are quite a few here on the forum.

It can be exhausting to always try to be understood, to long for accommodation and then to receive a dismissive reception (if that's what you're getting).

It can make you feel like the burden of adjusting is on all on you. Can you communicate this to your husband? Are you able to negotiate for alone time, some outside of the house time, even just to a park bench across the street time? 

Maybe what your wanting is to feel less alien and more understood. This is another kind of loneliness. It can be soul crushingly lonely to try and fail to be understood over ad over among the people you spend the most time with.

I hope you can find friends here on the forum. There are quite a few autistic parents here and you may find a great deal in common with them to talk about. You've reached out, that's the first step. You could even start a thread about being an autistic parent!

Here is a book also about women (I am making a presumption here, pardon any offense.)

Women and Girls with Autism Spectrum Disorder

by Sarah Hendrickx

and

Autism in Heels: the Untold Story of a Female Life on the Spectrum

by Jennifer Cooke O'Toole

I havent readthis last one but NYT's best sellers listed, so..

• But you have him (and the kids!), so focus on how lucky you are to have people in your life.