Hair washing

Hello All :-)

Does anyone here hate washing their own hair.  I tend to avoid washing my hair until it gets really greasy (not good I know).

I wash my hair over my bath with a shower hose and I try and do it as quickly as possible as I hate getting my face wet.   When I was a child, my mother used to wash my hair with a shower hose over the bath and I would have to put a flannel over my face.

If I'm at the hairdressers and have my hair washed over a basin it doesn't seem to bother me.

Just want to hear your thoughts, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

• This is why I love dry shampoo

• It's interesting how our childhood experiences can sometimes influence how we feel about certain things like hair washing. It's funny how getting your face wet can be so bothersome, right? I'm the same way, especially when I wash my hair at home. But hey, it's great that you're open to hearing thoughts and advice! Just a little tip, be mindful of Protein Overload in hair products, as it can cause some hair issues like dryness. Finding the right balance in our hair care routine is always key. And, if you're fine with hair washing at the hairdressers, maybe try to replicate that experience at home as much as possible. Experiment with different methods and find what works best for you and your hair type.

• It's just a small psychological problem. As a child, washing your hair caused your rejection, as a result of which you broadcast these feelings in adulthood. This is not your fault, but you must deal with this problem. I advise you to use dry shampoos cause it doesn't need water. Dry shampoo https://utiee.com/dry-shampoos-hair-powders/89-gold-lust-dry-shampoo-oribe.html instantly cleanses hair, extends your blowout, and prevents damage. If your hair gets dirty quickly, you can carry this shampoo in your handbag. It's one of the solutions to your problem, but I still advise you to try to cope with the discomfort when washing your hair. Clean and well-groomed hair always attracts attention.

• We're all different.  I wash my hair every day and enjoy it.  Often stand there under the shower for minutes just letting it do its thing.  Can't imagine a day without a good hair wash or shower. One of life's essentials.  

• Same here, I never realised that there were a lot of people including yourself who feel the same way as me.

I too hate the feeling of water pouring over my head too and I almost shudder thinking about it.

I tend to wash my hair in the evening and like yourself spend so long trying to put it off.

• I thought this was just me! It’s amazing to read of all these other people feeling the same as me. 
    I hate washing my hair, especially first thing in the morning. The feeling of the water pouring over my head is horrible. I can feel my head tingling just thinking about it. 
    however, I am incredibly self conscious about my hair as I started losing it at 19 and have always been made fun of for it. Therefore it causes me anxiety if I don’t wash it every day before work So I am in a vicious circle. 
    sometimes I miss my bus for work cos I have spent so long in the morning puting off washing my hair 

• I don't like the feel of water, but I have to wash my hair everyday as I get exsma on my face if I don't. Washing my hair with anti dandruff shampoo keeps it away more. Little tip there for anyone else.

• It irritates my scalp so I can't use it too much. 

• I use Batiste Dry Shampoo. It is a spray that you can use between washes to keep your hair smelling and looking clean. I only wash my hair once every week/10days and use Dry Shampoo in between washes. 

• Yeah I hate baths it's gross like stewing in your own filth. Showers any day

• That must be very difficult.  This probably won't apply to you but I mention it just in case it helps. 

For the whole of my working life - 40 years - I had very short hair, because washing it seemed such a waste of time (plus I travelled a lot for business and it was simply convenient).

But I'm very clinically vulnerable (cancer, no spleen, various other stuff) so during the pandemic I didn't visit the hairdresser, even when that was allowed.

It grew very long. 

When I finally went, the hairdresser turned it into a long style, rather than cutting it short again (which obviously I agreed to, as an experiment). And weirdly, I liked it.   

It seems to have cured my aversion to hair care - I'm quite happy washing it now and even using 'product' (a word I used to find amusing).  So a radical change of style helped me to undergo a radical change of attitude.  Go figure. It's probably just me(!)  

• I hate getting my face wet, too, so hair-washing is a chore I definitely don’t enjoy.  I have to wash it every other day, but it’s unpleasant doing so.

And even at the hairdresser’s I don’t get a break because they seem to really hurt my scalp…no matter how gently they claim to be doing it!

• I know what you mean about motivation and the inconvenience of having a bath or shower, as I would rather give my time to other things.  The hairdressers definitely feels like a treat rather than an inconvenience and I like their method of washing my hair over the basin and having my scalp massaged.

• Wow I never realised that this was one of the impediments of autism (was diagnosed quite recently so am still learning).  Same here, showering and getting my naked body wet isn't something that is pleasant for me either especially when it's cold.

• I have to wash my hair frequently because the very next day its greasy and after two days it stands vertically on end in spikes as if I had intentionally greased it.

• Ah I’d not thought about this before, once I’m in the shower or bath I’m fine but I do find it hard to prioritise it over all else most days. Other things seem more worthy of my time, I agree it definitely feels like an inconvenience 

• When i was a child i hated washing my hair ,when i became a teenager i just left it and soon had dreadlocks ,in my late twenties i just shaved it all off . which for me has been a great relief of stress .

• I thoroughly dislike washing my hair. I struggle to shower at all regularly. I too leave my hair for far to long before I wash it. I haven't had a huge amount of experience of having my hair washed at the hairdressers but that was also not good. For about 3 years I washed my hair really infrequently and wore a head covering to hide how grotty my hair was. About 4 months ago I cut my hair really short for a bunch of reasons but it really helped with the washing and maintenance thing. It's still not great, it's about once a week at max, but it's much better than it was since I cut over a metre off of my hair.

• tough I would really like to have one like the one Dr. Walter Bishop from Fringe TV Series lab.

• I disliked washing in a tub as well a long time.

In a house I was growing up there was no running water, we had well outside and then you would heat up water in a few pots on a stove, enough to fill wooden bathtub. Not a pleasant experience. luckiliy once a week only. So I prefered to keep my hair short to avoid greasy looking.

When I was 7 we moved to a flat in a block of flats in a city. I could take shower there, such a luxury Stuck out tongue, problem solved. I could have a fling with long hair, and I did shoulder length for a while, no greasy hair, go wild Stuck out tongue, until I was hit with a fireball in a pub and lost half of it, and I had to shave off the other half to look normal, I was 21 then, and back to short hair.

When I was 32 I had a crazy idea for an experiment, I get those now and then, I decided I need to know how it feels to have a sensory deprivation tank experience. I came up with a home made version, joint, ear plugs, sleeping mask for eyes, and I fall asleep in a tub. You need tub big enough to float. Amazing experience, when the water gets cold it wakes you up, so about 1h, super rejuvenating

And now I enjoy having a tub