This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

does cannabis and or thc interfere with ritalin effect?

hi all

i haven't found anything very conclusive or informative, but there's some mention of ritalin and cannabis attaching to the same cb1 receptors??? if so, can pot out compete ritalin, rendering ritalin ineffective?

I don't smoke pot a lot, but i do take thc or pot almost every single night... usually just enough to sleep - sometimes more, lol. never in the day. if i smoke too much at night, say, half or a whole joint, i feel it the next day. a pot hangover.

i'm also definitely interested in people who notice no effect and are happily indulging in both ritalin and pot.....

20 years ago, i tried ritalin, and could barely tolerate 5 or 10 mg. i'd get jittery, and noticed it could really focus me. now, since i take thc or pot, i'm up to 20mg... i don't notice many or any side effects --- it seems to help my focus. we've been upping my dose.............5 ...10......15 over three months... now i just started 20.  

thanks so much. stay healthy.

• Sorry for bumping into an old conversation. From what I've read, there isn't a clear consensus on whether cannabis or THC can interfere with the effectiveness of Ritalin. Some studies suggest that cannabis use may reduce the efficacy of stimulants like Ritalin, while others have found no significant impact. However, it's important to note that combining the two substances can increase the risk of adverse side effects, such as anxiety and increased heart rate. I suggest excluding one component. And better take efficient cannabis, like [removed by mod do not post links] I hope that helps you!

• There is some evidence to suggest that cannabis and THC may interfere with the effectiveness of Ritalin (methylphenidate), a medication commonly used to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).Cannabis and THC can affect the brain's neurotransmitter system, which can alter the way medications like Ritalin work in the body. Some studies have suggested that cannabis use may reduce the efficacy of Ritalin, while others have found that it may enhance the drug's effects. It's important to note that combining cannabis or THC with Ritalin can also increase the risk of adverse side effects, such as increased heart rate and blood pressure, anxiety, and paranoia [removed by mod]

• Sorry for bumping into an old conversation. From what I've read, there isn't a clear consensus on whether cannabis or THC can interfere with the effectiveness of Ritalin. Some studies suggest that cannabis use may reduce the efficacy of stimulants like Ritalin, while others have found no significant impact. However, it's important to note that combining the two substances can increase the risk of adverse side effects, such as anxiety and increased heart rate. I suggest excluding one component. And better take efficient cannabis, like [link removed by moderator]. I hope that helps you!

• Yes, I think it's a really interesting area and I'm always on the lookout for further information.  I'm in a few Facebook groups relating to medical cannabis but also interested in other subjects like pyschology, intermittent fasting and homeopathy (yes, in spite of the extreme dilutions meaning that there are no molecules of the original substance left in the remedies).  And many of these interests just happen to link very nicely with the idea of our bodies and minds constantly moving towards a state of homeostasis to keep functioning.  

In my younger days I self medicated with alcohol A LOT, and then later used lots of prescribed and OTC meds to try to alleviate my anxiety.  I only wish someone knowledgeable had taken me to one side and explained about cannabis, that I didn't have to smoke it as oils and edibles can be easily made and that it has many medicinal properties.  Better late than never, though, and I also remain super curious about this (especially the endocannabinoid system, the balance of compounds in the various strains, the power of CBD alone etc) and other options - I don't think I'll ever run out of road on these!    

And PS, I tend to just appear around here occasionally these days as life is just too overwhelming at times.  But then I come here and binge read and realise I've been missing you all.    

• Hi Jenny.  Hope your world continues to turn on a sustainable axis with flashes of joy and happiness.  As I said to Kate Kestrel a few days ago.....I miss you when you are not around.

I am currently very invested in this topic (meds / self meds / homoeostasis.) I have been completely without booze for over 5 months now but my caffeine and nicotine (vaping) remains curiously VERY intense......yet I am super calm?  I had expected my "need" for the stimulants to fade away when the depressive effects of alcohol was removed from my temple.  Not so.  Super curious!  

• Interesting.  Do you have any links to this research? 

Unfortunately the subscription boxes are only available in States so won't be relevent to many here.  And most healthcare professionals aren't very clued up either.  We'd have to go to one of the legal cannabis clinics for that and they're all privately run. 

• From what I've researched, there is some evidence to suggest that THC (the active ingredient in cannabis) can potentially interfere with the effectiveness of Ritalin. However, it's important to keep in mind that everyone's body reacts differently and it's always best to talk to a healthcare professional about any potential interactions. By the way, have you heard of cannabis subscription boxes [link removed by moderator]? They're a great way to try out different products and strains!

• Cannabis and or THC may interfere with the effects of Ritalin. Using Ritalin while under the influence of cannabis or THC is not recommended. Ritalin may increase the effects of cannabis or THC, which could lead to an increased risk of adverse side effects. If you are taking Ritalin, it is important to talk to your doctor about whether it is safe to use cannabis or THC. I can recommend you mail order marijuana [link removed by moderator] in oil components. In this way, I don't think it will cause any side effects for you.mail order marijuana

• I have never been a big fan of smoking marijuana. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the benefits of cannabis, which is why I was very excited to learn about medical marijuana. Many people think that medical marijuana is just a means to get high. Still, it's actually a lot more than that. Medical marijuana has been used for thousands of years to treat all sorts of diseases and conditions, and it's still used today to treat everything from glaucoma to cancer. There are dozens of different strains of marijuana that affect people differently, so you can choose one specifically for your needs. You can get the card from [link removed by moderator], which will allow you to get it from pharmacy MJ.

• Drop the ritalin, too dangerous 

• I'm not very informed about this subject. Of course, I know some general details all of us know, but if you need to find more information about something specific from this field, it's better to check the [Removed by Moderator]. It's the best platform to find accurate information without fear of being stalked or fooled by someone. On top of that, don't forget these types of substances won't bring you any good. I understand they might relax you or help you get through tough times but believe me, one day, you'll realize, and it's going to be too late.

• There is no connection between these two things as far as I have seen. OFC, it’s always better to ask a doctor about this, but I think that they are not connected.

• Yeah as an Autistic/ADHD who's tried both in the past alcohol and cannabis have opposite effects on us weather were on retilin or not. Alcohol makes us more hyper and overly confident. Drugs make us Skat out more and paranoid rather than relaxed. Alcohol makes us hyper instead of calmer too. I hate drugs for this reason but find alchol useful as it eases me social anxiety and makes me confident in social situations. Also if your on retilin that's an anti phycotic drugs and alcohol do not pare well with it. Best avoided when on medication. 

• Hmm, I have not heard that THC somehow affects the absorption of ritalin. As far as I know, they affect different parts of the brain, And when I used ritalin, I ate different foods with THC and not only,[Removed by Mod] and other sweets, but this did not affect the effect of ritalin in any way. Perhaps it all depends on the method of taking THC, because I don't smoke marijuana, but I eat THC products, perhaps something else that you use affects you, it's better for you to consult a doctor and he will tell you exactly how to use the medicine correctly. I hope you will be all right and wish you to be healthy.

• That's great. I was impressed by your writing. I am happy to see such a topic. Please come to my blog and read it.

(Removed by Mod)

• i found a therapeutic dose of ritalin at 30mg... i'm okay while 'on' it, but when it wears off i can experience four or five hours of kind of drowsiness, frustration, kind of mind wandering... it's pretty hard to deal with. however, now that i kind of recognize it, and how long it might last, trying to deal. i take short acting ritalin. 

i don't think there's much talk on this site about ritalin - maybe there's more chatter about pot??? really not sure.

i think i've come to the conclusion that i really do need some sort of 'med' to make up for my add and asd. it does seem to help me get things done, be more focused, be less anxious (maybe cause i'm focused).  without it, i'm almost non-functional in daily life.

anyone else?

• I have never noticed a deterioration after ritalin and weed. As far as I know, they work in different fields. I also smoke either in the evening after work or before going to bed. Medical marijuana is still the best thing that copes with my moral and physical fatigue. Sometimes headaches due to stress do not allow me to think about nothing but pain. I usually don't have a hangover after weed since I buy it from the [link removed by moderator] that I could find. Maybe because of bad varieties or just a low-quality product, you will feel a deterioration in your condition. In any case, marijuana affects each person differently.

• I'm very curious about this as, yes, in broad terms I can see it as being akin to having your feet on the brakes and the accelerator at the same time.  But it's probably not that simple and maybe the timing of each dose matters (as you say, Ritalin earlier on and cannabis last thing).  

Does the Ritalin prescriber know you use cannabis and would they be able to shed more light on any possible interplay?  

I'm also wondering - is there any possibility of attending a cannabis clinic to seek further advice?  I've noticed that the Sapphire Clinic and Project 21 both list autism as a potentially qualifying condition so, if the cost isn't prohibitive, it might be worth an appointment?

• i don't take them simultaneously; ritalin in the am, thc at night. if i smoke a half a joint at night, which is unusual, i may feel it the next day. i'd probably just skip the ritalin at that point, since i'm not feeling very well anyway. however, the ritalin doesn't make me nervous or agitated, or tense. sometimes, i barely notice it, actually. it's very subtle in effect, usually. at least, for me.

• thanks, untoward... i only take ritalin in the morning or early afternoon; currently one 20mg tablet, fast acting. i only take thc or smoke cannabis in the evening - for sleep... generally 30mg thc around 9 or 10pm.. i have quite a bit of trouble sleeping, due to chronic pain, etc... 

i don't see my need for thc increasing --- but i am concerned how i regularly take it... i do see me and my dr trying to work up an effective dose for ritalin --- 20mg currently. afaik, that's a 'low' amount? but i'm still kind of concerned...