This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

does cannabis and or thc interfere with ritalin effect?

hi all

i haven't found anything very conclusive or informative, but there's some mention of ritalin and cannabis attaching to the same cb1 receptors??? if so, can pot out compete ritalin, rendering ritalin ineffective?

I don't smoke pot a lot, but i do take thc or pot almost every single night... usually just enough to sleep - sometimes more, lol. never in the day. if i smoke too much at night, say, half or a whole joint, i feel it the next day. a pot hangover.

i'm also definitely interested in people who notice no effect and are happily indulging in both ritalin and pot.....

20 years ago, i tried ritalin, and could barely tolerate 5 or 10 mg. i'd get jittery, and noticed it could really focus me. now, since i take thc or pot, i'm up to 20mg... i don't notice many or any side effects --- it seems to help my focus. we've been upping my dose.............5 ...10......15 over three months... now i just started 20.  

thanks so much. stay healthy.

Parents
  • Yes, cannabis is a depressant and ritalin is a stimulant. taking both simultaneously will cancel out the positive effects and increase the co- occurring negative effects such as psychosis, nervousness & trouble sleeping and increase you chance of stroke significantly.

Another possible scenario is that you will make yourself extremely unwell with the pendulum effect going from depressive state to a stimulated state and back and fourth which will result yet again with psychosis, nervousness, trouble sleeping and increase you chance of stroke significantly. In the short term side effects are not bad by prolong use like this will cause lifelong hormone issues, increase in suicidal tendencies, increased chance of developing life long mental health that effect your independence.

Taking both stimulants and depressants in the long term together or yo yoing between will increase the chances of stroke, heart failure, respiratory depression, Cardiac depression & Impaired mental/physical coordination. 

• Yes, cannabis is a depressant and ritalin is a stimulant. taking both simultaneously will cancel out the positive effects and increase the co- occurring negative effects such as psychosis, nervousness & trouble sleeping and increase you chance of stroke significantly.

Another possible scenario is that you will make yourself extremely unwell with the pendulum effect going from depressive state to a stimulated state and back and fourth which will result yet again with psychosis, nervousness, trouble sleeping and increase you chance of stroke significantly. In the short term side effects are not bad by prolong use like this will cause lifelong hormone issues, increase in suicidal tendencies, increased chance of developing life long mental health that effect your independence.

Taking both stimulants and depressants in the long term together or yo yoing between will increase the chances of stroke, heart failure, respiratory depression, Cardiac depression & Impaired mental/physical coordination. 

Children
  • i don't take them simultaneously; ritalin in the am, thc at night. if i smoke a half a joint at night, which is unusual, i may feel it the next day. i'd probably just skip the ritalin at that point, since i'm not feeling very well anyway. however, the ritalin doesn't make me nervous or agitated, or tense. sometimes, i barely notice it, actually. it's very subtle in effect, usually. at least, for me.