This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

does cannabis and or thc interfere with ritalin effect?

hi all

i haven't found anything very conclusive or informative, but there's some mention of ritalin and cannabis attaching to the same cb1 receptors??? if so, can pot out compete ritalin, rendering ritalin ineffective?

I don't smoke pot a lot, but i do take thc or pot almost every single night... usually just enough to sleep - sometimes more, lol. never in the day. if i smoke too much at night, say, half or a whole joint, i feel it the next day. a pot hangover.

i'm also definitely interested in people who notice no effect and are happily indulging in both ritalin and pot.....

20 years ago, i tried ritalin, and could barely tolerate 5 or 10 mg. i'd get jittery, and noticed it could really focus me. now, since i take thc or pot, i'm up to 20mg... i don't notice many or any side effects --- it seems to help my focus. we've been upping my dose.............5 ...10......15 over three months... now i just started 20.  

thanks so much. stay healthy.

Parents
  • From what I've researched, there is some evidence to suggest that THC (the active ingredient in cannabis) can potentially interfere with the effectiveness of Ritalin. However, it's important to keep in mind that everyone's body reacts differently and it's always best to talk to a healthcare professional about any potential interactions. By the way, have you heard of cannabis subscription boxes [link removed by moderator]? They're a great way to try out different products and strains!

• Interesting.  Do you have any links to this research? 

Unfortunately the subscription boxes are only available in States so won't be relevent to many here.  And most healthcare professionals aren't very clued up either.  We'd have to go to one of the legal cannabis clinics for that and they're all privately run. 

• Hi Jenny.  Hope your world continues to turn on a sustainable axis with flashes of joy and happiness.  As I said to Kate Kestrel a few days ago.....I miss you when you are not around.

I am currently very invested in this topic (meds / self meds / homoeostasis.) I have been completely without booze for over 5 months now but my caffeine and nicotine (vaping) remains curiously VERY intense......yet I am super calm?  I had expected my "need" for the stimulants to fade away when the depressive effects of alcohol was removed from my temple.  Not so.  Super curious!  

• Yes, I think it's a really interesting area and I'm always on the lookout for further information.  I'm in a few Facebook groups relating to medical cannabis but also interested in other subjects like pyschology, intermittent fasting and homeopathy (yes, in spite of the extreme dilutions meaning that there are no molecules of the original substance left in the remedies).  And many of these interests just happen to link very nicely with the idea of our bodies and minds constantly moving towards a state of homeostasis to keep functioning.  

In my younger days I self medicated with alcohol A LOT, and then later used lots of prescribed and OTC meds to try to alleviate my anxiety.  I only wish someone knowledgeable had taken me to one side and explained about cannabis, that I didn't have to smoke it as oils and edibles can be easily made and that it has many medicinal properties.  Better late than never, though, and I also remain super curious about this (especially the endocannabinoid system, the balance of compounds in the various strains, the power of CBD alone etc) and other options - I don't think I'll ever run out of road on these!    

And PS, I tend to just appear around here occasionally these days as life is just too overwhelming at times.  But then I come here and binge read and realise I've been missing you all.    

• Yes, I think it's a really interesting area and I'm always on the lookout for further information.  I'm in a few Facebook groups relating to medical cannabis but also interested in other subjects like pyschology, intermittent fasting and homeopathy (yes, in spite of the extreme dilutions meaning that there are no molecules of the original substance left in the remedies).  And many of these interests just happen to link very nicely with the idea of our bodies and minds constantly moving towards a state of homeostasis to keep functioning.  

In my younger days I self medicated with alcohol A LOT, and then later used lots of prescribed and OTC meds to try to alleviate my anxiety.  I only wish someone knowledgeable had taken me to one side and explained about cannabis, that I didn't have to smoke it as oils and edibles can be easily made and that it has many medicinal properties.  Better late than never, though, and I also remain super curious about this (especially the endocannabinoid system, the balance of compounds in the various strains, the power of CBD alone etc) and other options - I don't think I'll ever run out of road on these!    

And PS, I tend to just appear around here occasionally these days as life is just too overwhelming at times.  But then I come here and binge read and realise I've been missing you all.    

Children
No Data